G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I recently was lucky to have bought a LGB Mogul 2019S from 1988, the engine is in great condition, look to have been barely run, but was missing a few parts and the sound dont work properly. I live in Brasil and i cant quite buy what i whant, but much more what i came across. Importing is too expensive and prohibitive. For this reason i cant just send the engine to a repair shop, so wheter i fix it or trash the sound unit and run with no sound until i find a modern replacement.

First issue is that it was missing the metal stripes that carry power from wheels and shoes to motor leads, it would only run connected to the tender, but i quickly fixes that with jumper wires.

The other issue is that the sound is not working properly.

I've heard that those boards are old and capacitors are failing, so i should just toss it, but before i do that i want to do eveything possible to fix it.

Im using a full recharged 9v battery and the idle sounds works when track voltage drops and battery takes over. But when i put power to tracks all i get is a whistle, then a continuous hissing, no chuffs. Also the bell and whistle do not trigger when i pass over magnets, althought i have heard reed swithces clicking with the tender upside down, and having taken off the lid that cover reed sensors under the truck, and sliding magnets over, with sounds muted. So i guess reeds are working.

I have checked the sound board itself and it seems brand new, no signs of corrosion, broken cables or whatever.

I have also checked the locomotive board and everything is connected, including the chuff sensor cable.

I am now checking the cable that goes from loco to tender, as i've read in other threads it could be de culprit.

I know one part of the cable is track power and rear light, i can read with a voltmeter both track power and low voltage from cable leads, so i know this part of the cable is working. Its 3 wires beeing one common.

But the other 3 wires, i know they are are for chuffing, i've read that one is ground, other for power and one is signal. I could not get any voltage reads from these cables so here goes my question:

What should i be reading with a voltmeter leads on power and ground on this cable? Is this the cable that delivers power to the chuff sensor? Or delivers power to sound board?

How can i measure with a multmeter if the chuff sensor is sending signals thru the cable?

I have already recrimped this chuff cable two times with no success.

Next, when i know what to measure, i will measure again direct from the board, where this cable is soldered, so if i get any readings there i will know its cables fault, then hopefully i will be able to fix it!

Thank you very much for everyone's help!
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Electrical wiring Gas
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi everyone!

I recently was lucky to have bought a LGB Mogul 2019S from 1988, the engine is in great condition, look to have been barely run, but was missing a few parts and the sound dont work properly. I live in Brasil and i cant quite buy what i whant, but much more what i came across. Importing is too expensive and prohibitive. For this reason i cant just send the engine to a repair shop, so wheter i fix it or trash the sound unit and run with no sound until i find a modern replacement.

First issue is that it was missing the metal stripes that carry power from wheels and shoes to motor leads, it would only run connected to the tender, but i quickly fixes that with jumper wires.

I've heard that those boards are old and capacitors are failing, so i should just toss it, but before i do that i want to do eveything possible to fix it.

Im using a full recharged 9v battery and the idle sounds works when track voltage drops and battery takes over. But when i put power to tracks all i get is a whistle, then a continuous hissing, no chuffs. Also the bell and whistle do not trigger when i pass over magnets, althought i have heard reed swithces clicking with the tender upside down, and having taken off the lid that cover reed sensors under the truck, and sliding magnets over, with sounds muted. So i guess reeds are working.

I have checked the sound board itself and it seems brand new, no signs of corrosion, broken cables or whatever.

I have also checked the locomotive board and everything is connected, including the chuff sensor cable.

I am now checking the cable that goes from loco to tender, as i've read in other threads it could be de culprit.

I know one part of the cable is track power and rear light, i can read with a voltmeter both track power and low voltage from cable leads, so i know this part of the cable is working. Its 3 wires beeing one common.

But the other 3 wires, i know they are are for chuffing, i've read that one is ground, other for power and one is signal. I could not get any voltage reads from these cables so here goes my question:

What should i be reading with a voltmeter leads on power and ground on this cable? Is this the cable that delivers power to the chuff sensor? Or delivers power to sound board?

How can i measure with a multmeter if the chuff sensor is sending signals thru the cable?

Next, when i know what to measure, i will measure again direct from the board, where this cable is soldered, so if i get any readings there i will know its cables fault, then hopefully i will be able to fix it!

Thank you very much for everyone's help! View attachment 64081 View attachment 64081
This is honestly really strange because it sounds like all the usual culprits have been checked out and seem fine, my only real guess (And I do own a 1988 2019s) would be maybe the chuff sensor inside the motor block is not working or has a broken wire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The board in the tender supplies the power/connections on the 3 wires to the sensor in the engine. LGB never used magnets on the axles/wheels to sense chuff.

Thanks, thats the info i needed. So power flows from tender to loco board, that powers chuff sensor, chuff sensor send chuff signal back to loco board that sends it to sound board. So i guess there is no power flow from tender to loco board, as i tested the leads from loco board where cable is connected and could not detect anything. What im looking for as chuff signal? Resistance? Also these two soldering points where i put arrows on my picture, they aould be united?

Thank you very much again!

Motor vehicle Vehicle door Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is honestly really strange because it sounds like all the usual culprits have been checked out and seem fine, my only real guess (And I do own a 1988 2019s) would be maybe the chuff sensor inside the motor block is not working or has a broken wire.
Yeah i guess power is not getting to chuff sensor, maybe really cable fault as i cant detect any voltage on the part of the cable that controls chuff

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a hall effect device, you might want to google it to understand it. It's a solid state device, the connections are power, ground and output signal when the magnet goes by.

Greg
So the hall sensor ir powered by AC? As there is power and ground connectionsp. If it was DC would be positive and negative? And what im looking for with a multimeter, to find if a have a signal? Voltage peaks?

Thank you very much!!

·
Super Modulator
22,344 Posts
??? Why would you ask if it was powered from AC? Normally 5v DC from the main board. Power = +, and ground = minus

Yes, I believe you will get a pulse as the magnet goes by, but not necessarily the thing you measure with a multimeter... analog maybe, digital probably not.

Again, when I suggest googling it to understand I meant it... if it was simple I would have said so. Maybe you can google and find someone who has found the right way to test it with common tools.

Greg

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for everyone's help! View attachment 64081 View attachment 64081
Yeah i guess power is not getting to chuff sensor, maybe really cable fault as i cant detect any voltage on the part of the cable that controls chuff
Daniel - Just to clarify: Track power comes to the circuit board in your Mogul from the front and rear wheels sets and the slider shoes, and is supplemented by the tender's two wheels sets. The sound board in the tender gets its power from the tender's track power wheels sets. So, there's no problem with the hall sensor pulse generator in the Mogul's motor block getting power; it's unlikely the sensor has failed and that's why you're not getting the chuff sound. The more likely issue is the cable going from the back of the Mogul to the tender, perhaps one of the three wires, has broken that carries the chuff signal to the sound board. Or, that the sound board has failed. Check the cable to be sure there are no broken wires, all the wires since it's very important that track power from the tender gets to the Mogul's circuit board to supplement the power from the Mogul itself when the engine travels over the plastic track frogs on track switches and dirty track sections or other track connectivity issues.

Also, if you find that one or more wires are broken in your Mogul's cable, you'll need to either remove the wire's insulation and solder the two broken sections together, or if the break(s) are near the connector plug end, you'll need to replace the 6-pin connector plug with a new one. If you can't find them in your country, I have them available.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Line Electronic component Font

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
In the tender, the middle pin on the cable is the sense line, the outer pins are + and - and should measure 4 volts or more. I use a 1k resistor and touch middle pin to either outer pin to simulate the chuff working WITH ENGINE DISCONNECTED.
Dan, great details about the chuff sensor wiring and testing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the tender, the middle pin on the cable is the sense line, the outer pins are + and - and should measure 4 volts or more. I use a 1k resistor and touch middle pin to either outer pin to simulate the chuff working WITH ENGINE DISCONNECTED.

Thank you very much for this info. I followed the pins to the board and tested the board pins, no volts at all, also did the test with resistor and nothing, i think there is nothing more i can do, besides getting a new board.

Again, thank you!
Bicycle tire Electrical wiring Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Circuit component

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Daniel - Just to clarify: Track power comes to the circuit board in your Mogul from the front and rear wheels sets and the slider shoes, and is supplemented by the tender's two wheels sets. The sound board in the tender gets its power from the tender's track power wheels sets. So, there's no problem with the hall sensor pulse generator in the Mogul's motor block getting power; it's unlikely the sensor has failed and that's why you're not getting the chuff sound. The more likely issue is the cable going from the back of the Mogul to the tender, perhaps one of the three wires, has broken that carries the chuff signal to the sound board. Or, that the sound board has failed. Check the cable to be sure there are no broken wires, all the wires since it's very important that track power from the tender gets to the Mogul's circuit board to supplement the power from the Mogul itself when the engine travels over the plastic track frogs on track switches and dirty track sections or other track connectivity issues.

Also, if you find that one or more wires are broken in your Mogul's cable, you'll need to either remove the wire's insulation and solder the two broken sections together, or if the break(s) are near the connector plug end, you'll need to replace the 6-pin connector plug with a new one. If you can't find them in your country, I have them available.
View attachment 64096
Thanks! I have recrimped my cable, broke the wings of course, but got around it
Wood Gas Bumper Wire Machine

...but i made further testing and i do believe the board is shot, so these plugs probably wont solve...

Since you have parts, my loco is also missing the two metal strips that connects wheels and pickups to motor leads, and for some reason os fitted with a 18v smoke generator, so i need a 5v one. Do you happen to have these?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
59 Posts
To test the sound board set out of the tender I did the following:
Hooked a speaker to the 2 speaker terminals at one end of the board (only 2 pins at this end.
Then I tied power to the 2 middle pins at the other end. I used an exacto knife to touch the middle pin on the right side of the board and got to either side and got the bell and then the whistle to blow. I then touched the middle pin of the chuff input to the left pin and got the chuff. So, if the middle pins on this side have no power (red wires), nothing will work. Track power from the tender will make this board work, you only need the engine for chuff, bell and whistle will work with out the engine connected. Note I do have a board set with speaker which I removed as I converted to DCC which has a much better sound than the old LGB 2 board analog sound system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts