G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Installed the new motor, pickups, brushes & a traction wheel and have 100% improvement. My Piko Transformer has 28 settings - the Loco would previously start to move on setting 20 and now starts to move on setting 14 (Steam sounds kick-in on setting 10). It also will now handle my 4 degree inclines - does not stall-out anymore. It does run a bit jerky on low settings in forward mode (14-18) but then runs smooth as I increase power. It runs completely smooth in reverse regardless of the power setting. I may tinker a bit with this later but am extremely happy with how it runs compared to before.

Really appreciate all the advice - I took dozens of pictures during the process to make sure I could get the pieces back together. I would not have attempted this project without all of your help - nice to be part of the community!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The instruction booklet lists 10.1 pounds. But models from different production runs can weigh different.
Furthermore modifications.
If you install a different steam generator you may cut or eliminate the boiler weight for instance.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts