G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the hobby - started in March and have about 160 feet of track down so far. I recently decided to upgrade from my LGB starter Loco and purchased an LGB 2019s off Ebay - beautiful piece with what appears to be little run-time. The sound and smoke work great but the Loco does not have much pulling power. My Starter Loco and motorized tender will pull 10 cars around my layout but the 2019s will only pull 2 cars and stalls badly on the 4% grade I have in one area. This thing seems like it should be a beast - do I have a dud (and can that be fixed) or are my expectations out-of-line? Using a PIKO 5A power supply. Appreciate any guidance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - checked and the voltage is fine. I moved my track-connection to where it is only a couple of sections away from the slope but still stalls when I add a second car. I have a couple of 2 degree slopes where it still slows quite a bit but the 4 degree pretty much brings it to a halt.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
For your info, the Stainz and mogul have the same motor, Stainz is a short shaft, Mogul is long shaft.
When it slows does the wheels slip, or just an engine slow down?
Is the traction tire Ok?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Engine slows down - no wheel slippage. Even on a level section of track it will only pull 2 cars - which I would expect that this beast would pull much more (or at least match my Starter Loco). The Traction tire does look to be OK - very little use on the Loco itself.

Really appreciate the help here!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look if the connecting rods look like if they are binding mechanically. Then, open the motor block up. It could be a bad motor... over lubricated etc. A stripped gear on the axle...
Somebody could have pushed the locomotive back and forth on a hard surface by hand
Are the pickup shoes nickel fresh or do they look like brass worn flat?
Are the wheels clean?

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
motor could have worn brushes, or junk between commutator segments. to test binding, perhaps remove side rods, but as above, try moving the wheels about 90 degrees at a time, and wiggle siderods, if there is binding, it will be tight.

Also, you could check the current draw of the loco (amp meter) and see if that is high, if so that will indicate binding.

start checking things and report here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! Will probably be this weekend before I can get to this but will report back on what I find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try contact cleaner spray on the brushes and commutator in the motor. Carbon buildup could need cleaning off. Home Depot and Lowes typically have it in the section where they sell car supplies. Has a long skinny tube like WD40. Have used it to turn poor performers into "like new" performers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts