G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Be careful with the ball bearing motorblocks on the U25B. I have had a lot of trouble with that combination. I have had much better performance with my U25's with the older trucks. My FA1/FB1's and my RS3, with the same trucks, run fine with the ball bearing trucks. Because of the odd pivoting arrangement on the U25's they are much more sensitive to poor trackwork.

I have tried twice on two different U25's to convert to ball bearing trucks. The last time I did a lot of experimentation. I found that if BOTH trucks had the "floppy axle" on the forward end of the truck, the engine ran beautifully. The only problem with that is that then when you start backing up, you can run into trouble on curves. on my other engines, my experience has been that you want the "floppy axle" toward the outside/end of the loco on each end. This configuration has given me the most reliable tracking.

Regarding weight, I have two older U25B's, one came in the "black box". I have found that they will reliablly pull 12-14 cars, even up moderate grades with no problem without the addition of weights. Again, one problem with older blocks is that they are sprung. If you add very much weight, the springs will bottom out. The ball bearing trucks are not sprung anymore (springs are they - just don't do anything!), so adding weight in this case isn't a problem.

Ed

·
Registered
818 Posts
Greg, you are absolutely right, there was an extra "no" in my first statement, sorry 'bout that. I edited that erroneous "no" out of my post!

When I refer to the "older trucks" that for me work better on the U25B I am talking about the ones with the axles extending into the side frames, not the newer ball bearing trucks that do not come in contact with the outer frames. Let me try again, the non-ball bearing trucks, whose axles extend into the side frames work the best for me on the U25's. I have had problems with the ball bearing trucks, whose axles do not extend into the side frames.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts