G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the Hobby but sort- a-know what I want. I cant seem to sort through the facts so I can take care of the issue. I want to purchase the Aristocraft Mikado Steam Engine and I want want it to be total RC no power to the tracks. I want all the sounds (bell, horn, chuff, steam sounds, etc). Theres nothing like listening to and watching a steam engine coming to life and working. I would like it to be as realistic as possible. I have heard and read some about the Train Engineer Revolution. That may be a little out there because I dont plan on controling or owning 100 Locos at once. Long yammer short is there anyone out there that can tell me exactly what I need (xmtr, rcvr, sound board, cables, batteries, etc). Part numbers would be great. Also I dont want to have to hock the house to do this. Money is an object here. Any help to sort through this will be greatly appreciated. THANKS

·
Super Modulator
21,036 Posts
The Revolution Train engineer is not delivered, but if you want to use one, you will have to not only purchase the transmitter and receiver, but an additional sound card.

If you like realism, then you will want to consider a sound card that changes the locomotive sounds based on the actual load on the locomotive. Since this is an Aristo loco, it also has a convenient socket. The only sound unit that does this and fits the socket and works totally RC is the QSI with the Gwire addition, and using an AirWire transmitter.

This is a great combination and is proven to work well.

Money is an object? This is not real expensive, but it's not cheap. Go cheap and you give up quality. Don't do it.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I'm kind of a newcomer to the hobby as well. l have a mikado with sound and I like it a lot. I can trigger the bell, whistle, coupler clank, air brakes etc. with the same transmitter that controls speed and direction. It's fun!

It's not cheap to add sound and remote though. I thought long and hard and ended up with the QSI/Airwire combo, because it's expandable, and now I've got four locos with QSI/Airwire running on track power.

As Greg said, the Aristo Revolution TE is not out yet, and it's not clear when it will be out or what it will cost. I made some guesses about cost based on what their older TE system goes for, but they are just guesses, it could be more or less. To get sound you will have to buy

the Revolution transmitter (+/-$150?),
the Revolution receiver(+/-$150?),
a 3d party soundcard, most likely a Phoenix sound card, which is @ $200.

I'm guessing it'll come out to about $500, but again it's a guess--the components aren't out yet

Then if you bought other locos in the future, you'd only need to buy the receiver and the soundcard--maybe $350

The approach I took was to buy a QSI card, which has sound built in, for $135; a QSI "Gwire" wireless receiver, which plugs into the QSI card ($95), and an Airwire throttle ($190). Comes to $420

For each additional loco, it would be $135 plus $95, or $230 give or take ten bucks. As with the Revolution, the throttle/transmitter controls multiple locos.

All these prices could change, and again I'm just guessing what Aristo will charge for the new TE. But the other thing is Aristo, well, I like Aristo but they sometimes tend to hype the products a bit. They promised all kinds of things for the 75 mhz system which it never delivered, although it does work and it is affordable: I invested a good bit in the 75 mhz system expecting that it could do some of the things claimed for it and then they discontinued it. If I were you I would wait till that Revolution has been tested and reviewed a while.

It still looks to me like QSI/Airwire will be the better option. Plug and play, sound built in and most of the capabilities of DCC, and cheaper.

IMHO the best sound and control around is MTH, but it's a proprietary system and only works with MTH's "DCS" control system. Have you looked at the MTH Hudson?

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
OOPS! I just read your post and you say you want no power to the tracks--so you want it to run on batteries? I can't help you with that

QSI will work with battery power as well, and so will the new Aristo Revolution.

Track power vs battery is like protestant vs catholic or shiite vs sunni around here, kind of a holy war. There are advantages to both. You'll have to figure the cost of batteries and chargers into your estimates. Running sound runs the batteries down faster, but lots of people do it and love it.

Aristo makes a battery car which is ready to go with the Mikado, retails around $210 I think. But then you have to always have the boxcar attached to the loco. It should be easy to put the batteries in the tender

I run mine by sending a constant 20 volts to the track, and then putting the QSI/Gwire in each loco.

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Especially if your not going to run many locos go LS using AC locos. Miike is already available and soon the 0-4-0 and a 2-4-2 all R/C will be here. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By lownote on 12/18/2008 6:31 AM
His initial post doesn't mention live steam--I think he's interested in electric

True, he didn't "mention" it, but he did say:

"Theres nothing like listening to and watching a steam engine coming to life and working. I would like it to be as realistic as possible."

and if that doesn't describe 'Live Steam', what does?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Check out QSI Solutions at: http://www.qsisolutions.com/index.html You want the Quantum Aristo if th loco has a DCC plug and the Quantum Magnum if it doesn't. Add a GWire and an Airwire throttle and battery and away you go. I have a GP 40 and 2 U25-Bs with these and just received one for my Aristo Pacific and FA-1 that will be installed by the end of the year.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Man....Welcome to MLS!....I've been at this for a few years now and remember asking nearly the same question(s) when I began...I knew then that I wanted to go All RC and Battery and just had to make a choice on what Control System to use....I know some of the guys got tired of my pestering but in the end I was able to make a very solid decision and since then I've not regretted it!

After the research period (about 3 or 4 months) I decided on the RCS http://rcs-rc.com/ brand of control. And self installed (with help from TOC-more on that later) an RCS-EVO in a Trail Car with a Drill Battery and used that set-up to power my then new Bachmann 45 Tonner.

The Remote Control Systems Company operated by Tony Walshman in AU offers two different types of Control...the EVO Brand utilizes a 2 stick AM transmitter (much like one uses for RC cars, etc...)
http://evo-rc.net/home.php (a good way to enter the RC game, more cost effective and a tremendous range, you may even have a Transmitter laying around!?)

and the RCS units utilize a propierity hand-held control about the size of a pack of cards. http://rcs-rc.com/...I love this thing!

since that first mentioned install, I've done a few others, I now use the RCS for "my trains" and I'm converting my kids trains to use the EVO, so each can have their own radio and that means one less thing to share!

I do not know where you reside, but I purchase all of my gear from TOC-Dave Goodson in WA state...I have him on speed dial! 425-823-3507...he could answer any questions you may have esp those in ref to "exactly" you need!....

as a disclaimer; I make nothing for sharing my good experience with the RCS company or any of it's US distributors, they all provide Stellar Service, farther beyond one's expectations!

If you'd like to know more, shoot me an email and I'd be happy to help in any way...

Things you'll need

1. ESC (electronic speed controller)

2. Transmitter
3. Sound Card

4. at least 14.4v of DC juice (batteries)
5. Battery Charger

6. guts to take on the challenge!

Merry Christmas!

cale

don't let the new account fool ya, I accidentally deleted my old account that was a few year old last night..bummer!

woops, forgot a very important part...i think RCS/EVO make a true Plug and Play device that would make the easy install nearly fool proof...?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,036 Posts
By the way, the new MTH stuff should be DCC compatible, i.e. no longer restricted to proprietary controls.

But it's significantly more expensive (the locos fitted with it) and the conversion of a non DCS loco is not cheap at all.

I agree the sound and effects are pretty darn nice, and they are coming out with a quillable whistle.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Now, you understand all that?

(There are lots of ways in G)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts