G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received an old, somewhat beaten down G-Scale Classic Rail (Echo Toys) battery Powered Train Set from my Grandmother. It still works, but the locomotive isn't very powerful, it doesn't have variable speed, and it doesn't connect to a wireless controller. I know this might sound like an impossible task, but I want to upgrade this little locomotive (a 2-6-0 Mogul) giving it variable speed, radio control, and a LOT more pulling power. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? Video tutorials would be most appreciated, but lengthy text descriptions are also gladly welcomed. Links to necessary parts for the procedure are also highly encouraged.

Land vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Product

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
Unless it is of significant sentimental value, not worth the effort.

If you want to power it with R/C, look at GScaleGraphics.com or the Piko (PIKO America Home of G Scale & HO Scale Model Railroading) remote, you still may have drivetrain issues that would be difficult to repair.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
but I want to upgrade this little locomotive (a 2-6-0 Mogul)
I would concur that it isn't worth trying to fix it - they sold for $25-$50. To solve most of the problems you need a completely new chassis with decent wheels and a good motor.

The Bachmann 4-6-0 is a good alternate, and lots has been written on upgrading it, etc. Alternatively, there was a similar cheap "Buddy L" loco sold for a while, and you may find one for a decent price (less than $100.)

Train Rolling stock Rolling Rectangle Font

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would concur that it isn't worth trying to fix it - they sold for $25-$50. To solve most of the problems you need a completely new chassis with decent wheels and a good motor.

The Bachmann 4-6-0 is a good alternate, and lots has been written on upgrading it, etc. Alternatively, there was a similar cheap "Buddy L" loco sold for a while, and you may find one for a decent price (less than $100.)

View attachment 64090
Is that buddy L set outdoor grade? I’ve seen some eBay listings for some cheap track that I could use to expand my garden railroad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have this train in my opinion not worth upgrading it gears are fragile and wheels are plastic, motor is weak, is more like a toy than a model train. Buy a LGB starter set you wont regret.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about getting a 2-6-0 donor chassis and converting it to battery power? Anyone have any ideas on that front? (as cheaply as possible if you please. I'm a poor college graduate)

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
What about getting a 2-6-0 donor chassis and converting it to battery power?
Bachmann make a decent 2-6-0 with metal gears.

2-6-0 Industrial Mogul : Bachmann Trains Online Store!
I didn't see a chassis available as a spare, and I don't recommend the 2-4-2 version that preceded it. However, these locos are occasionally to be seen for $100-150. I know of one for sale at the moment.

The other Spectrum 2-6-0 is a much more complicated beast and will cost you a lot more.

The problem with all these ideas is that they will cost you a lot more than just replacing the whole set with a better one. Bachmann made gazillions of sets with the 4-6-0 in them, and some have similar freight cars. There are usually a dozen for sale on eBay at anything from $50 to $500.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bachmann make a decent 2-6-0 with metal gears.

2-6-0 Industrial Mogul : Bachmann Trains Online Store!
I didn't see a chassis available as a spare, and I don't recommend the 2-4-2 version that preceded it. However, these locos are occasionally to be seen for $100-150. I know of one for sale at the moment.

The other Spectrum 2-6-0 is a much more complicated beast and will cost you a lot more.

The problem with all these ideas is that they will cost you a lot more than just replacing the whole set with a better one. Bachmann made gazillions of sets with the 4-6-0 in them, and some have similar freight cars. There are usually a dozen for sale on eBay at anything from $50 to $500.
Would you mind sending me the info on the Bachmann 2-6-0 Industrial that is for sale at the moment? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, what about this: What If I gutted the Locomotive, added some tungsten weight, and made a power car/tender to push it around? Are there any instructions for a simple but powerful 2 axle powered boxcar with an RC remote?

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
more trouble pushing than pulling.

So, you never answered the question directly, but I suspect you want to keep the loco shell, and repower, because it is of sentimental value. Again you will put more money into it than it is worth.

Trying to power a 2 axle box car will probably not give you enough traction.

So, please confirm you want to keep the loco shell at all costs.

And how about a budget? How much are you willing to spend?

This could save everyone a lot of time or wasted answers.

Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I apologize if my intentions were unclear. This Locomotive, though admittedly a cheap toy from the 1980s/1990s is of significant sentimental value to me. It was the first G-Scale locomotive that I ever saw, and it was something that I looked forward to seeing every Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's. My Grandfather passed away a few years ago, and my Grandmother's health is declining. When she gave it to me, I promised her that I would find a way to make the locomotive run again, better than it ever had before. I would make her proud and make that Locomotive something to behold. My goal is to preserve as much of the original locomotive/tender as possible, while still upgrading it to be a fully functioning hauler. I'm open to keeping the shell and slapping it over a superior chassis. I'm open to gutting it and replacing the motor of an RC car or RC locomotive with some more power. I'm even open to making it a dummy locomotive with a powered tender or van. I don't own any metal G-scale track, so getting a locomotive chassis that is track powered isn't much of an option. As far as a buget goes, I don't have much. I am a recent college graduate with a wife and soon children to support. I can't put down more than between $100-200 into this project for the next couple of months. Over the course of several months, years even, I plan on saving to put more money into this project, and potentially expand into more "Legitimate" G-scale modeling. For now, my main and only concern is taking this precious locomotive from my childhood and making it into a strong locomotive to honor my Grandparents, and to give my future children their first taste of model railroading. Any help is greatly appreciated. Projected costs are always welcome. I have a stubborn warriors spirit, and I will find a way to do this, come **** or high water. When I've done it, I will post my procedure online so that others like me who don't have much can get their foot into the Hobby and can reclaim their "cheap, knock off" G-scale trains and make something beautiful out of them. This is my manifesto and my goal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I apologize if my intentions were unclear. This Locomotive, though admittedly a cheap toy from the 1980s/1990s is of significant sentimental value to me. It was the first G-Scale locomotive that I ever saw, and it was something that I looked forward to seeing every Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's. My Grandfather passed away a few years ago, and my Grandmother's health is declining. When she gave it to me, I promised her that I would find a way to make the locomotive run again, better than it ever had before. I would make her proud and make that Locomotive something to behold. My goal is to preserve as much of the original locomotive/tender as possible, while still upgrading it to be a fully functioning hauler. I'm open to keeping the shell and slapping it over a superior chassis. I'm open to gutting it and replacing the motor of an RC car or RC locomotive with some more power. I'm even open to making it a dummy locomotive with a powered tender or van. I don't own any metal G-scale track, so getting a locomotive chassis that is track powered isn't much of an option. As far as a buget goes, I don't have much. I am a recent college graduate with a wife and soon children to support. I can't put down more than between $100-200 into this project for the next couple of months. Over the course of several months, years even, I plan on saving to put more money into this project, and potentially expand into more "Legitimate" G-scale modeling. For now, my main and only concern is taking this precious locomotive from my childhood and making it into a strong locomotive to honor my Grandparents, and to give my future children their first taste of model railroading. Any help is greatly appreciated. Projected costs are always welcome. I have a stubborn warriors spirit, and I will find a way to do this, come **** or high water. When I've done it, I will post my procedure online so that others like me who don't have much can get their foot into the Hobby and can reclaim their "cheap, knock off" G-scale trains and make something beautiful out of them. This is my manifesto and my goal.
That was inspirational!

·
Super Modulator
22,247 Posts
OK, keep loco shell and find chassis to go under, do-able and within your budget.

If you could find an appropriate Bachmann chassis, and they often have a sale, I have seen the whole chassis for $75, that would be one way go go.

What is needed now is good pictures of the loco and some measurements. Also would help to find out how it is put together.

Careful! old plastic can be brittle, so taking apart with care, good-fitting screwdrivers, take pictures as you take apart, label which screw came from where.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,827 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts