G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased what was supposed to be a LGB Stock Tender #69672 with sound. What I actually got was someones science project. The Tender was gutted and fitted with a Phoenix sound system and apparently is wired backwards. The plugs that I had hoped to use to help my 2020 through long frogs is disconnected. When I put my 2020 on the same track as the 69672, they either move toward each other or away from each other.

I looked at the schematic on TrainLi, is it as simple as rotating the motor 180 degrees to correct the train travel?

Any help would be appreciated. I am very new to posts, threads, and using help websites. If I stumble around, I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. I will try to quickly learn proper protocol

Thanks,

Mike Mercier

·
Super Modulator
21,424 Posts
a great first post, welcome!

yes, reverse the motor first, easiest.

Then see if the sound system is right (the toots for forwards and reverse)

Greg 1,022

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
DO NOT REVERSE motor!!!!!!!!!! Check the alignment key!!!!

All LGB engines have a motor alignment key that fits in a slot.
If this pin is not in the slot then the motor does not fully mesh with the axle gear thus allowing the axle plastic gear teeth to be destroyed.
It may be someone did reverse the motor, but one must be very careful.

I would ask if the rear light is on when going backwards, if so then the motor block outer wires need to be swapped.
If the rear light is on when going forward then it could be the motor is in backwards, but again check the alignment key.

·
Super Modulator
21,424 Posts
Whoops! Sorry!.

Reverse polarity to motor if it's physically in place.

I gotta get a picture of this, where is the key on the motor Dan? do you have a picture?

Sorry, Greg 1,016

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Are the trucks on backwards?

John

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Trucks? This tender has a 2 axle motor block.
If you reverse this block, the power comes in reversed so you get the same direction as if the block was not reversed. Again check tender direction with rear light operation.

The alignment pin is 90 degrees offset from the motor power leads, and when looking at the LGB motor block there is a slot this fits into. If mis-aligned the top plate gets distorted and does not fully mesh on the motor power lead end.
The newer motors ship with a plastic 'ring' which has this alignment pin which is hard to see in a picture. When this ring is placed on the motor it does 2 things. Makes the end of the motor the correct size for the cradle and has the alignment pin. See pix below for the motor and ring.

http://www.modellbahnen-online.de/W...FCC/Buehler_11302121004_wie_LGB_62201_web.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts