G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's,

The better half said if you want a K 27 get it, If I do it will be battery r/c. As I have no experience with battery or r/c I thought it wise to ask those of you that do use r/c, which you prefer RCS or Airwire. I have checked both of the MLS battery forum's and it seems to me there are more issues with airwire than rcs. 
  I'm not trying to start a royal battle over which system is better or best but  to hear some opinions pro and con of users of both products.
  I intend to run steam  locos from 1875 to 1910  maybe a double header now and then.
  Thanks in advance for any help.
  chuckger

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
I will not comment on the RCS as I have a couple of units....but what I will say is I have 8 Airwire decoders and 2 T9000 hand helds.

The only thing that can be considered a problem with the Airwire, is in the evening the train will occasionally momenterily stop then start againl    for me that is not a problem!
Just change frequency that should help....you have 7 to choose from.

Al at CVP is suppose to be comming out with a unit that will be able to handle up to 24 volts, I think it is 24 volts without having to split the power and use a 12 volt regulater for the DCC side.

So for my needs I will always use the Airwire board, BUT the RCS and the Aristo TE are a viable form of R/C control.

I can select any engine and control it with out changing anything except the loco #...the hand held is very user friendly!

I am not bashing any brand as they are suited for various needs, and likes and disslikes..BUT i really like the Airwire.

Bubba 

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Great answer Bubba. I have never had the interferrance problem with the AirWire but I do agtree with your other comments. AirWire is nto the cheapest way to go but I think it is the most flexable and one of the easiest to install.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have a A/W and have had no problems with it.  But I do like the small pocket size transmitter of the RCS.

G

·
0 Posts
I have been an RCS user from Day 1, I will continue with them, and sing their praises every chance I get.

I have never had the 1st problem with my RCS units, and the Customer Service (Tony and Dave) is above any I have received from any other provider in any other field-period.

I've never used the AW brand, so I cannot offer any help there, but I really do LOVE my RCS!

In addition, and maybe most importantly, RCS is currently the only manf that can provide you a real Plug and Play interface for the K---that speaks volumes in itself. 

A real P-n-P would deff help with the install part of things!   you can see it here

cale

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Short and sweet,,,,,,,Airwire. I have a Bachmann Connie with Airwire and I just received a Accu C19 and I'm having Airwire installed in that engine.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Chuckger,

I have an RCS and I'm very happy with it. The antenna is wired to the rail pickup, so I can put my transmitter close to the nearest rail and get a very long range on a ground-level layout.

That being said, my pals are all Airwire and they claim it is the greatest - probably because it is DCC-like and has lotsa functions a good range. (Be interesting to see what the other guys say...)

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
RCS. I did my research and decided to go that route and I have never had any regrets. Of course, I don't do the "electronic thing" ("A man's got to know his limitations" - Clint Eastwood) so I found someone that I trust to do the job right - Dave Goodson at Northwest Remote Control Systems (NWRCS)! I have never had a problem that wasn't easily correctable. In fact, the only one was with the K-27 and it was a broken connection due to rough handling during shipping and not even an RCS installation part! Dave quickly helped me identify the problem and we fixed it all with very little fuss! I can't say how much I appreciate Dave and RCS other than to say the K-27 was my sixth engine!:cool: I don't have any experience with Airwire so I can't help with the comparison. The only thing I will add is "Bravo! You are making the right choice by deciding to go r/c battery!"/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
350 Posts
You want a T-Bone or a KC Strip, either is a great choice. I'm RCS and love it. Tony and Dave are wonderful communicators and have been very helpful, though I haven't needed all that much help. I enjoy computers and programing but when it comes to trains I want to enjoy the trains. RCS seemed the most "transparent" of the available control systems for battery. Wouldn't change.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I love the 900 MHZ antenna length of the Airwire, and the control range is excellent (as long as you don't want to trigger a Phoenix 2K2). But just yesterday I removed my Airwire R/C system from my Bachmann Annie. My layout has 3% grades up and down, and for some reason the Airwire can't handle that. At a fixed speed setting, it won't make it around the loop unless it is running at "Lionel" speeds. It either stalls out on the curves and grades, or races down the hill like a roller coaster. The same loco running on Ariso-Craft Trackside Train Engineer will run all day long, up and down the hills at a fixed speed setting. This time I installed one of my "Critter Controls" (that's a 0 MHZ hands-on control system), and it runs just fine, nice and steady, at a fixed speed setting all the way around the layout. And this is without any sort of back emf control. I know everybody loves the Airwire, and I would recommend you buy one and try it for yourself. It just doesn't seem to work at my house.

I have never tried RCS, so can't comment.

I have friends with Loco-Link, and wouldn't recommend that. Hard to get parts for some reason; fairly large clunky transmitter, although they do offer back-emf control!

Supposedlly, Aristo-Craft is coming out with a 900 MHZ or 2 GHZ or something system? I just went to the A/C site to check this. Couldn't find anything off-hand, but ran into a post about a new trailing car from A/C that has a Trackside TE in it and a Lithium-Ion battery? That sounds interesting. CCSI: The trackside Train Engineer is used by many folks as an on-board radio control system. Kind of a big and clunky board, but mounted in a trailing car, there is plenty of room.

G

·
0 Posts
Posted By Steve Stockham on 03/27/2008 3:32 PM
The only thing I will add is "Bravo! You are making the right choice by deciding to go r/c battery!"/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Amen, and Amen!

The Chief

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I did some research  on what would work for me, asked a lot of questions, and went with RCS , went through Don Sweet and could not be more happy with the service( i am not to electrical friendly) and the way it works, my last engine i also put in a Dallee sound system and was very happy with it. Don was very helpful with all my questions, and I had a lot. Very happy with RCS.

Tomh

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
I know for a fact that Jim Carter (pimanjc) has had RCS as well as using trackside TE's in his trains and I think he's now dabbling with Airwire as well! Jim would be an excellent source for comparative information! He's on the chat nearly every night. I'll steer him to this thread.:) In fact, come to think of it, Jim is going to be giving a r/c seminar at one of our WAGRS meetings and I am supposed to supply a couple of RCS locomotives! We will be demonstrating as many of the different r/c systems as we can get to the meeting! Many in our club use Loco-linc so we will also have that system as well! It should be a fascinating discussion! In addition to the systems, we will be demonstrating the various sound systems and we will be going over the various batteries that can be utilized. We will have the meeting at Jim's place so we will have his layout to run all of these systems on!:D I'm looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Don't think you'd go wrong with either of those.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
RCS all the way!!
I did my first install on a LGB 0-4-0 and was able to cram all the bits inside, plus the batteries. Tony was very helpful and it was easy to do.
I get great range, and the Transmitter fits in my shirt pocket.
All in all, I wouldn't use anything else
Stan

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
I don't want to take over Chucks topic, and I don't have any battery at present, just DCC, but someday I will try battery, so i'm very interested in this topic. It seems most are happy with what they have. Chuck did not want to start a war and I don't either, but I'm curious about comparing features of each? Does each work with the most popular sound systems, like Phoenix, etc.? How many functions can each trigger? Do they have lighting features similar to what DCC offers? What about power, which ones work with higher volts, say 19 or higher? How easy is each to install? What types of batteries does each work with?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Guy's,

First I would like to thank everyone who posted to my request for R/C help. Went to the ECLSTS yesterday and after much thinking, trying to decide, more or less wasting a lot of time, and with some encouragement from my good buddy Ron I came home with a Southern Rio Grand #455 K27. This one has the plow and std. gauge cab, someone said it's the post wreck model.
 We stoped at Don Sweet's booth {RCS} he had a k there set up with the plug in board, batteries and sierra sound. The sound was great, wistle, bell, steam blow down, water going in to tender, the sound when it was running was nice and heavy, deep and throaty, its hard to discribe, but to me the sound matched the size of the engine very well.
  Jimtyp, If you check over on LSC Tony Walsham has posted pics of the battery install he did on a K27 , I think he used AA battery packs.

chuckger

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Hi Chuck.

Good luck with your enquiries.

I tried to publish that K-27 installation article here at MLS as well.  Unfortunately I could not get it to load.  I don't know why.  The old MLS forums never gave a me a problem in the past.
BTW I used 2400 mah SubC NiCd packs.

Jim.
As yet RCS & EVO battery R/C systems are not compatible with any DCC controls.
RCS & EVO work with pretty well all sound systems such as Phoenix P2k2, P5+P5t, Dallee, Sierra and MyLocosound.
I make a number of different control systems and the parts required to operate sound triggers will vary depending on which sound and which control system
The problem we had in the past interfacing with Phoenix was overcome by reprogramming the DCC address to zero and disabling all the DCC functions.  Now they work just fine with RCS and EVO.

All RCS systems have three sound system triggers built in with the option of adding 8 more.  All of which can be accessed from the TX-24 handpiece.

G

·
0 Posts
Click Here for the Link to the RCS Bachmann K PnP Install by Tony Walshman

The Chief

·
Registered
258 Posts
You pays your money and takes your choice. Both AW and RCS are great.
I use AW as do most of the RC guys in our club.
AW works so wonderfully with Px P5 sound systems, as well.
Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts