G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been experincing lock up on my computer. When browsing MLS it seems to lock up most when either posting or checking a link to picture etc.

I use Roadrunner, windows explorer 6, and norton 360/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif.

It's almost like the server is timing out, I think.

Any Ideas on how to remedy this computer guru's?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Matt, try downloading IE 7, and see if that helps. Check the Norton program to see if it is slowing you down. I use ZoneAlarm, and usulyy shut it down when uploading picture, because it does slow the computer down.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Matt

Don't know which browser you use, in my case it's MS/Internet Explorer v6.0.2800 SP1.

I've noticed that at times it seems that the system is hung and taking forever to load, but when I check the Status Bar most all the time I find something similar to the following as part of what is displayed

Opening Page http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/……………..

Which if I'm not mistaken is the ad area located at the bottom of most if not all MLS web pages. As best as I can check each time this happens the ad being downloaded is a Flash Player type.

When this occurs I click the Refresh button and reload the screen, so far this has resolved the delay and the screen has displayed. Not really a fix, more of a band-aid, but I don't know of any way to resolve it at the user end.

Hope the above will be of help to you.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve & Cliff, The screen actually locks up to the point I can't refresh it. All I can do is hit C+Alt Delete which brings up the window that says MLS- Not responding. Then I have to click the "end program now" button and then open MLS again. Frusterating!

Thanks for your insight thus far!

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Well, in that case, if you're using MS/IE as you're browser then as Cliff said, I'd try going to Microsoft and try downloading & installing another copy of the browser. Even if it's the same version that you've got installed.

It's more than likely redundant by now, but have you scanned your system for all types of virus and such?

Another piece of software that's good, but really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and/or are not careful is 'Highjack This' (HJT) you can get it from various places, one such is [url]www.MajorGeeks.com/[/url]

Let us know how you're doing, as things progress.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I see the same problems with both IE6 and Firefox. When I hit Stop and then retry the operation, it works properly.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
You do not indicate what processor and ram you have, but Norton is a resource hog and will slow your system. AVG Free and Spybot work for me, and free!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Posted By nkelsey on 01/19/2008 12:13 AM
You do not indicate what processor and ram you have, but Norton is a resource hog and will slow your system. AVG Free and Spybot work for me, and free!

Nick is right, Norton is a good product but it uses ALOT of memmory and CPU rescources. I would turn Norton off while in here, this is a pretty safe website. I would also run a Disk clean up and delete all the files it recommends deleting to clean out the memmory. The files will be the ones with the check marks next to them after the scan.  It will also depend on how memmory you have and at what speed your processor is. The slower the Processor, the slower the computer. 

Cliff

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:  I tried turning off norton, didn't help. Then tried re downloading Explorer 6, didn't help, then downloaded 7 which I tried when it first came and had issues( can't remember what they were) and it seems to be fixed.

Thanks for all the help! 

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed Matt. hope you can enjoy the site and the internet better now. Cliff

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Glad to hear that you've got things back to running again, always a pain when it's intermittent, there's just so much to choose from as to the culprit. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts