G Scale Model Train Forum banner

HELP need Kalmazoo loco parts for antique store find

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  vsmith 
#1 ·
Had some time to kill yesterday before an appointment out near Pomona yesterday so I went into a store on Pomonas antique row, this particular shop always has one booth full of model train stuff tho mostly HO and O junk, but there were two large scale items to my surprise, a Kalamazoo engine and tender and a Kalamazoo passenger car, I wasnt going to buy them until I saw that there was a 50% off flyer posted in the booth, in fact almost all the booths were 30-50% off, thats the economy these days. SO I got the loco, damaged as you can see for $25, and the passenger car for $15, not too bad but the loco needs work and I kinda doubt HLW still has parts for 20 years old Kalamazoo stuff.

So, THIS IS A PLEE FOR PARTS, look thru your parts boxs...

I needz...

Sand Dome

Stack cinder barrier

Headlight housing

Boiler Backhead

Most importantly...

Pilot wheel assembly and swingarm

Now if I cannot get the parts to restore this engine, then I will try to rebuild it with whatever I can assemble myself, but I'd like to try to get it close back to original condition as possible, then I can add additional detail parts and consider repainting it.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided

PS YES it does run

See less See more
#4 ·
Vic, Your timing sucks. I used to have all of these parts and literally threw some of them away. Sorry. What I do have is the backhead, sand dome and swing arm.
I think the pilot truck is the same that Hartland still uses. I may have original plastic wheels somewhere (no promises on that one). I'll check.
Definitely talk to Phil about this and what you're doing. I know Hartland used to dump a lot of the old Kalamzoo stuff in their grab bags.
You may want to replace the gears on the axles, or at least pin them.
Chris

#6 ·

Do these look like they'd help, Vic?

Sorry about stack top. I literally had a pile of them and threw them in the recycling.
Chris
PS. I've never seen a Kalamazoo loco with a large headlight, i.e., that reflector you've got looks too big. I've had a number of these locos and the headlights were all quite small.

#9 ·
Chris thats great! PM on the way

Thats 80% of the parts list right there. I've got the metal wheels, left over from the CP Huntington project. I'll try to get in touch with Phil about the gears, so far sounds like they are fine, but would be a good idea if I upgraded them to new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.