G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Mik,

Thanks. The project looks too big for me. The idea of 24V is superior to 120V by a wide margin for safety reasons. I'd just wondered if anyone else had tried something like this. Last winter (a cold one for sunny (!) River City) I wore a rut along the back edge of my front yard moving wood to the front porch.

Thanks to all who offered their thoughts.

Les

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Posted By Les on 26 Apr 2010 08:13 AM
Mik,

Thanks. The project looks too big for me. The idea of 24V is superior to 120V by a wide margin for safety reasons. I'd just wondered if anyone else had tried something like this. Last winter (a cold one for sunny (!) River City) I wore a rut along the back edge of my front yard moving wood to the front porch.

Les

Les,
Great to see you back online!

Functional trains aren't new, many bars used them to serve drinks!

I found this item a while back and wondered how long his mainline is, if a spur ran a mile!

John

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Les - great to see your type again!

Accucraft Ride-On is now selling aluminum track in both 4-3/4" and 7-1/2" gauge at a very reasonable price. Depending upon the weight of the wood you wish to haul and the wheel loading, it may need a concrete roadbed for support. Accucraft also sells both electric and live steam locomotives for these gauges/scales. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Sound like the Aluminum rail your suggesting Dwight may not be solid. Ours is and does not require a cement sub road bed. Laid and ballasted like the big boys. Later RJD

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Sound like the Aluminum rail your suggesting Dwight may not be solid.The rail is solid RJ, but of somewhat small cross-section. Obviously it will support the live steam Hunslet sold by Accucraft. I was thinking more of how easily aluminum GA 1. track is bent if stepped on, snagged, etc. As I have no idea of the conditions Les will have when laying track, nor the loading he'll place on the track, I thought I'd throw in the concrete idea.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
When I had a small amount of 7 1/2 inch gauge around my home (about 125 feet for the kids to play with my P.E. electric), I used Railroad Supply Corp. aluminum rail. Twenty-five years ago it was about $10 for a ten foot length (a single stick of rail) or $20 for a single ten ft. section of track). Solid alum 6061 T6 aluminum. Made my own ties from ripped 2X4's. Used deck screws to fasten rail to the ties. Worked very well. As it went down a driveway part way, I was able to drive my Chevy 4-door dually over the track without any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By Totalwrecker on 26 Apr 2010 09:45 AM
Posted By Les on 26 Apr 2010 08:13 AM
Mik,

Les

Les,
Great to see you back online!

Functional trains aren't new, many bars used them to serve drinks!

I found this item a while back and wondered how long his mainline is, if a spur ran a mile!

John

John,

Thanks for the reply & kind words. I note the pic of the old car in the background. Pretty cool.

Haven't done much since wife got sick save buy a couple of garage-sale trains, a Thomas and a ... a ... Tomy! Yeah, that's the name. Dunno why but seemed like a good idea at the time. Between the two, I like the Thos. much better. The drive tires are crystalized, but I bet I have some O rings that'll fit.

Howsumever, since this is an LS board, I want to note that as soon as I can find Del's addr, (and the first of the month drops) I'm going to get one of is critter controllers or whatever, put a circle of track on a piece of plywood, and get going on learning some stuff.

Les

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oops. the link is no longer working. look for "inch scale porter" in the old archives.
P.S. the hole thing can be yours for $500.
Joel

21 - 29 of 29 Posts