G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Redwood Empire Live Steamers will be hosting a work party at Youth Community Park on Fulton Road in Santa Rosa California this weekend April 24th and 25th. We are in the process of laying down track in a city owned park and hope to have our very large scale railroad up and running by midsummer. If any of you who live in the North Bay are interested in participating, drop me an e-mail at the clubs web site below.
http://www.redwoodempirels.org/
Come on out and give it a try, you may become addicted to this scale.
Joel

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The City of Santa Rosa’s Parks department was very happy to have us come out to the park. The even gave us a 4K grant to help cover construction cost! We are buying a lot of ballast! Insurance has to be carried by the club and anyone who has worked in this scale knows that the insurance is not cheap! So far the club has been doing OK by offering public runs once a month to help cover the cost.
We are using steel rail from RMI and we are staking it to the ground with barbed rebar to make sure that little hands (and big ones for that matter) don’t remove the track. As a park ranger I have a good deal of experience in understanding vandals! Those of you with children already know this, but the most destructive force on the planet is a ten year old boy.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t worry about the cost Mark, it’s not any worse than garden railroading if you are in a club. Just remember that there is only so much 7.5” gauge stuff you can fit in a garage. You probably will never own more than a few cars in your life compared with the g-scale stuff that has a tendency to multiply when left alone in a dark garage.
on a side note, I don't remember how many feet of track we were going to put down. I think it may have been 1,000 to start.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Well we have quite a bit of equip including 4 locos and a dozen cars for now and more coming. So it gets addictive and you keep adding just like G scale. Later RJD

Just a couple of shots of our locos

And the Ls loco in process of being built.

Any one interested in a F7 shell we have some made up.

Later RJD

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Addictive? That’s not what my suppliers told me…wait a minute, it that a hook I feel in my mouth?

Just out of curiosity, are those diesel shells for 7.5 gauge locos?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sooooooooooooooooooooo where is the most cost effective place to buy one of those beauty's????????????????????? Regal

p.s. I could be persuaded to sell off my G-scale collection, if I could set up a track, and at least one loco in my backyard. Always wanted to have a house in the country and a little acreage to build a ride on rr there.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Posted By aceinspp on 21 Apr 2010 05:24 PM
Well we have quite a bit of equip including 4 locos and a dozen cars for now and more coming. So it gets addictive and you keep adding just like G scale. Later RJD

Just a couple of shots of our locos

And the Ls loco in process of being built.

Any one interested in a F7 shell we have some made up.

Later RJD

Can you show us what's setting behind the Sante Fe???????????? looks interesting. Regal

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Probably missed it but where do you buy this stuff economically, I may want to liquidate my G-Scale, and get one good running unit and some track!! Regal

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Economical is not a word you use when talking about 7 1/2" equipment. 2 1/2" trucks alone cost $750 for a set.... I build my own rolling stock.

I got hooked three years ago, I now have an 2 1/2" electric class A climax and a live steam Mich Cal two cylinder shay in 2 1/2" scale.

Terry

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
This is just a general question: how feasible is a 'big' gauge RR line (say, 7" or so?).

I've considered for a few years now the feasibility of building a SL to haul wood from my woodracks to my front door. Snow isn't much of a problem, but it happens on occasion.

Basic needs: the ability to transport the equivalent of 2 common (not contractor's) wheelbarrows of wood once a day. No turnarounds, just a pair of rails & a couple of cars behind an electric-powered engine (steamlike). I'm thinking 110v 20A on the tracks when in use, else off. A GFI, of course.

I'm a retired T&D (tool & diemaker) and done house wiring, so mechanics/electrics are not a particular issue. Neither is track, which would be of 2x4's with strap steel on top, just like the old days. I figure one or two motors mounted on a pair of axles for the engine.

Just wondering if anyone else has built a 'real purpose' Narrow NG RR. WOuld like to hear.

Les

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The F7 shells are for 7 1/2 gage. They come undec and you do the paint or have it done. The price of a a electric loco can cost around $2000 or so depending what you want. We have the 40 tonner side rod but it is gasoline over hydraulic. Runs great. The F7 KCS is all operated by batt/electric. also runs great. We are thinking of converting all to electric some day. Yep and Dwight is correct as the loco in the back ground is the KCS unit which we have been up grading with additional details.

Les btw the RR will be hauling fire wood to the house. One of the tracks is a wood yard track to load wood and move via rail to the house.

Later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
RJD,

Thanks. I'm thinking along the lines of a 'real purpose' RR, and for something a little different. Gauge isn't an issue, other than stability. I'm not real sure the effort would be worth it, though it'd be home-built all the way. Also, I'm not sure what kind of adhesion I could expect, figuring ~ 300# loading on two axles--might be futile. Then there's the power-to-weight issue. FireWood is heavy. Radius would be very tight and thus gauge-dependent, thus short wheelbase. Just wondering what the numbers would crank out to be and if anyone's tried something like this.

Les

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Les, A few quick thoughts. 1. look into 'Groovy Track' cheap and durable with slotted ties and hot rolled bar for rail. 2.Think 24v DC, check out military or industrial surplus places for motor and gear box... from a pallet jack..... or maybe even a golf cart if you reduce the speed. 3. If you really want stability, think about 12" gauge... OTOH if you want to take it to play on other people's track, 7-1/2" is best. 4. You CAN make wheels from plate and pipe, but rough wheel castings are usually cheap enough. just build the rest of the trucks from 3/4" or 1" box if you don't care how it looks.

Just don't blame me if you end up with track running all over your yard, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Actually the trucks for freight cars are reasonable for 7 1/2 gage at around $300 to $350 per pair.Two places to check on all types of equip and supplys are Mountain car in Mich and Tom Bee in Virginia. You can also get roller bearing trucks for a bit more. As for rail we us aluminum amd it is holding up quite well. Also easy to work with and a bit cheaper. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Rail Systems Co builds nice looking locomotives starting around 6 grand. Some over 10 or 12k. I've considered 1.5 inch scale myself as it can be cost comparable to G in the long run.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts