G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Celling layout
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’ve had large scale trains for 30+ years now. Take them out every Christmas and put them up around the tree. I’m finally going to put a shelf up around the room, secretly planning multiple rooms (wink). I just joined up here 5 minutes ago and might post up some pictures of my progress soon.

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
54 Posts
Hi everyone. I’ve had large scale trains for 30+ years now. Take them out every Christmas and put them up around the tree. I’m finally going to put a shelf up around the room, secretly planning multiple rooms (wink). I just joined up here 5 minutes ago and might post up some pictures of my progress soon.
Cool, is this shelf going to be an operating layout? Or will they only be for display?

Tyler.

·
Registered
Celling layout
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, is this shelf going to be an operating layout? Or will they only be for display?

Tyler.
Trains will run on the shelf. I’m struggling with how, this is why I joined this forum. I want to stage a bunch of trains in a back room then run them around the living room one at a time going different directions. Basically, leave a siding in the back room l, go around the living room and go back into the siding and another train will automatically leave its siding and to the same loop. All of this with one push of a button. I would like it to do one circuit and then stop. I think command control with some software will be needed?

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
leave a siding in the back room l, go around the living room and go back into the siding and another train will automatically leave its siding and to the same loop.
Sounds like fun. You'll then have the problem of all the trains facing the 'other' way after their traverse of the LR.
Just for thought, a diode can be used to isolate a length of siding; allowing the train to leave but not continue if it comes back in. (DC track power only.) With a remotely controlled switch, you can bypass the diode to start the train, as long as it is pointing in the right direction.

·
Registered
Celling layout
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like fun. You'll then have the problem of all the trains facing the 'other' way after their traverse of the LR.
Just for thought, a diode can be used to isolate a length of siding; allowing the train to leave but not continue if it comes back in. (DC track power only.) With a remotely controlled switch, you can bypass the diode to start the train, as long as it is pointing in the right direction.
LGB has a magnet system, the engine has a magnet on it and it activates switches that will also isolate power to that passing siding. Train pulls in, hits the sensor, activates the switches on either side of the train cutting power to that train and sending power to the next train. That new train pulls out of its passions siding and does the loop then pulls into its passing siding and this goes over and over...
I would like a little more control so I can adjust speed for specific trains and also just run one cycle at a time. Run trains in different directions and so on.

·
Registered
Celling layout
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shelf is up! I was wondering if I should use some kind of read bed. Might dampen the noise a little. Currently the shelf is plywood.
would love to show pictures. Trying to figure that out now. Stand by

·
Registered
Celling layout
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First pictures, only a couple dups. I will get better at this.

·
Registered
Celling layout
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still haven’t figured out how to post pictures and words...
This is above my front door. There will be a tunnel above the door. I kept the crown molding line consistent around the room but track won’t me on all of it.

·
Registered
Celling layout
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So there’s no edit feature on this site, interesting...
Would love to fix the type’s. I will be more careful before I post.

·
Registered
Celling layout
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
E8005326-7AC0-4FC3-8FF3-08E0DE20538A.jpeg
Above the fish tank. The tracks will go strait behind the tank on the left and right side. Behind the tank will be sidings so I can stage multiple trains. One train will come out at a time in either direction and do a “circuit” around the room.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
So there’s no edit feature on this site, interesting...
Would love to fix the type’s. I will be more careful before I post.
Egon,
On your post, top right, are 3 dots. Click it and you get an 'edit' option. I use it all the time :(

And I see you figured out the pic-and-text issue.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Egon - You could buy some thin indoor/outdoor carpet and cut strips to place under your tracks......would dampen the sound of the train running on it. And if you don't have one already, you'd save yourself a lot of work trying to clean your rails by hand by buying an LGB Track Cleaning Locomotive. I use one on my 400 feet of track on my garden railway. LGB/Marklin is producing two new models this year with delivery expected by June which I'll have available. Oh, another suggestion if you don't already do this: Change any plastic wheels on your rolling stock to metal wheels.........eliminates the plastic dusty created by plastic wheels. I use (and sell) the Bachmann metal wheels which come in a 4-pack for $20 compared to LGB metal wheels that come in a 2-pack for about the same price!

·
Registered
Accucraft Ruby, Accucraft 1:20.3
54 Posts
Yes!!!!! This is going to be amazing. I can only imagine the possibilities if you hooked it to an alarm clock. Not for daily use, but for use on days you knew you would be doing extensive train stuff.
Wake up to a grade crossing whistle before spending hours enjoying them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts