G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years ago I was on an LGB of America forum. Gone now, I found this forum since I am ready to move some trains outside. Collecting N, HO, S (American Flyer) and G, I thought I would say hi and learn more about my LGB collection.

I understand in any forum, pictures are needed because we all like pictures. Here is a picture of the start of my outdoor train platform.

Plant Window Building Tree House

With any luck the track, will also run between the house and the deck steps. Making a large loop under the deck before the track returns to the front of the house.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes, thank you. The only thing left out unattended would be the track. This front of the house, would be part of my Christmas holiday display. Do you think that the track might be in jeopardy too?
Track can be a target of theft or vandalism. I have heard of track being stolen on both G Scale and the larger 1/8" scale routes. It really depends on who's around you, and sometimes folks have the misfortune of living around people that find it worth the trouble to rip up some model train track.

You can mitigate the chances of theft by affixing the track to a base that you then cover with ballast to hide. Track that is just floating in ballast or loosely staked-down is very easy to just rip out. Also not having any rolling stock on the track when not in use like you mentioned, is good to not attract attention to it, as track alone sits low to the ground and less noticeable without something on it.

Best of luck with your project!
-Mike

·
Registered
332 Posts
Scrap metal thieves are probably looking at the copper pipes in abandoned houses. The metal in garden railway tracks is not on anyone's radar IMHO. The real issue is bored teenagers with senseless vandalism on their minds. Out of sight, out of mind as they say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts