G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome!

What scale are you interested in modeling, something set or mix & match? Are you putting a layout up indoors or outdoors?

Lots of info already here from the past decade or so, so feel free to use the search function to sleuth through to find answers to your questions or start a new thread. We have tons of people here willing to help out.

-Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Working on an outdoor G-scale layout. I have about 160 feet of track down so far with aspirations for a lot more - don't have a very level yard so learning to deal with slopes has been challenging. Looking at this as a long-term hobby. I've found the Forums here to be quite helpful for a newbie like me!

I live in an area that was mined for gold in the 1830's - so going with a Mining theme for the layout.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
hello,

try to stay under 2% grades. (one in fifty).
although there are some crazies like me, that go till 6%, the more you go over the 2% mark the less modells of locos will be able to manage your grades.
(best mountaingoats are the LGB Stainz, specially the older ones - with a little help of additional weight)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads-up on the Stainz. Due to the terrain in my yard I have a couple of areas where I have to get to 2% and one area at 4%. My little LGB starter Loco handles them fine - added a motorized tender w/sound and I have a rig that will pull up to 10 cars around the track. Added a PIKO 2-6-0 thinking I would get more power but it pulls no where near my little LGB rig. Also just added an LGB 2019S but based on another post it sounds like I need to replace the motor.
I can get analysis/paralysis at times so jumped into the hobby feet-first - otherwise I would still be reading up on it. Started with a small loop to get something going and took all summer to get to the state I am in now. Have made some mistakes but don't mind re-doing things. My first phase was more custom but think with some better site-work planning my Phase 2 addition will go more smoothly. I'm only a couple of years from retirement - so not long before I can invest a stupid amount of time in the hobby :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
... I'm only a couple of years from retirement - so not long before I can invest a stupid amount of time in the hobby :)
that's exactly, what i thought too.
don't count on it!
the "darling do... " commands multiply and you'll get slower.

even when using short locos, try to use R2 or bigger curves. (LGB R1 limits the number of cars on a train even more, than grades.

i am using stainzes with LGB motorized tenders for five two-axle cars or four four-axle cars. (each loco or tender weighted to five pound total weight) (max grades 6% on straights, 4% on curves)

and never forget:
whatever we others may tell you, its your railway! it has to please you. not others.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome to the crazies.
If you don't have one already, I suggest buying a 3' and 6' digital level to help with those grades. I ended up putting in a 120' trestle so trains could get to second level. Also handy is a template to build trestle bents. I bought mine from Black Bear Hobby but not sure they are still in business. Adding pictures of your site will help so members can see your elevation issues and provide "How to" ideas. Again welcome to the crazies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts