G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,
I would like to introduce myself as Mark Eason. I have been reading these ports for over a year now. I have learned many things from postings. Track cleaning and split jaw rail joiners. Dont use plastic wheels. Sometimes add more weight to reduce derailment. So today I decided to join my 2nd ever community.

Right before covid shutdown I had decided to put G scale rails on a rose garden block wall in my backyard. Nice and simple back and forth track with one 90 dregree curve. about 130ft of track.

I had a vision of doing my own bullet train and with help from Phil from Hartland Locomotive Works I got it going. Here is a short video showing it in action. about 1 minute. I called it how the west was won. Not live steam.
Right after I got this up and running HLW decided to shut down. Sniff, sad. disappointed.
I hope it is ok to paste a link to my youtube video. I do not have any sponsored videos.

Let me know what improvements I can make. Any questions and comments are requested and appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Welcome Mark,
Looks like you are having fun, and that's what it's all about.
Nice bit of modelling.
Do you plan on making it a continuous circuit?
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
88 Posts
Love the humor. Trolleys would run nice being point to point. How about taking out a couple of bushes and putting in a main street?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greg,
50 miles south of San Jose. Even south of Gilroy
Can't quite say it is north or south. But since my work is in Campbell, Ca. I consider me a northern residence.
I used to live in California City think Mojave desert. So I still have south western blood in me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome Mark,
Looks like you are having fun, and that's what it's all about.
Nice bit of modelling.
Do you plan on making it a continuous circuit?
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
Two things prevent a circuit. Space for large loops, and wife.
It is her roses that i am intruding in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome!

just one: Landgrab is the heart of the game.
i wonder, how a town or two, built in your style, would look.
I do have other trains. GP38-2 Sante Fe with patriotic cars and caboose. I need a 1:29 scale Marine 1 helicopter to set on flat car next to caboose.
I have 2 LGB street cars, pair. I need to make some Old Spaghetti Factory signs to stick on them. They are cute and quiet.
Then the LGB starter set gondola, and caboose.
Big John from HLW and a few of the make and take flat cars and a gondola, of course 2 mining cars.
So what kind of town should I have?
Long term goal is to make a 12v powered hyperloop looking, loco. Bend plastic or make it wooden or both.
Another consideration for land grab is my wife. If there is space, a rose bush goes there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I forgot to mention....
My track is solar powered. So no 110V cords or transformers. A 50 watt solar panel and a 104AH battery.
Gilroy..., Hmmm...,

Must be guarding cloves of garlic.
Those garlic cloves are 15 miles north.
The garlic festival needs more guards. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
... So what kind of town should I have?
mixed building styles, inhabited by your favorite comic-figures, maybe?

... If there is space, a rose bush goes there.
the ugly answer: coppernail in roots provide empty spaces.
the friendly answer: tell your wife, you want to buid a town named "Rosebud"...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts