G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone with RailroadAvenue and/or Railpress Figures tell me the average height? I want to compare them to my 1:24 people to see what needs to go in my conversion to 1:20.3.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Jim:

The RR Avenue standing male figures are mostly between 3.4 and 3.6". All are wearing shoes and most have a cap or hat. Bare headed or with a cap are among the shorter and the ones with a hat are the taller ones. Basically the standing males are right at 3.5" or 5' 11" in 1:20 scale. The pregnant woman with three kids holding onto her skirt is ~3.1" or ~5' 3" in 1:20 scale.

Haven't heard of "Railpress Figures".

Happy RRing,

Jerry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. According to my 1:22.5 scale card the average male height just under 6 ft tall is about 3 1/4. I'm surprised there is not more of a difference given what appears to me as a big difference in the size of 1:20.3 vs 1:22.5 equipment. I know the math supports the minimum change in height but it just seems like they should be bigger.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Jim:

Doing the numbers:

6' in 1:22.5 scale is 3.20"
6' in 1:20.32 scale is 3.54"
Difference is .34" or about 11/32", closer to 3/8" than 1/4".

Remember that on a 3D model you are looking at the volume of the object which makes things appear significantly larger than the linear dimension differences would imply. The fact is, 1:22.5 figures, when used in the foreground, look pretty wimpy alongside 1:20 figures or other 1:20 scale items such as doors.

Using those same 1:22.5 scale figures a little further away and not next to 1:20 scale items can actually provide a forced perspective, helping enlarge the scene.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.