G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I put in a Massoth XLS decoder and pulsed smoke maker in my Heidi over the holidays, and took a quick video today showing it in action.  Since the smoke maker is connected to the decoder bus terminal, it gets feedback on load, so when the loco is decelerating or coasting the smoke decreases.  It is timed with pulses from the decoder which can be adjusted to suit the diameter of the wheel, or can use a hall-effect sensor too.

Here's the link:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/cougarrockrail/MVI_4707.AVI

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garrett, you can adjust it either way. I've adjusted the decoder CV's so it's as close to 4 chuffs per revolution as possible. Since I'm not using a hall-effect sensor it will never be quite perfect at all speeds but it's very close at slow and mid range speeds where I tend to operate it. Someday I may add a sensor but for now it's close enough for me.

Keith

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
That's probably the most realistic looking smoke installation I've ever seen in a model. I tend to dislike smoke makers, because they never look right to me, but yours is very impressive!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.