G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you kitbasher have a spare Heavyweight roof, I need one for a hospital car I am building.
Thanks,
Jim Carter

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Jim
your making the car from your new doodle bug??

·
Super Modulator
21,010 Posts
He already made one hospital car from his doodlebug.... wondering if he is making another, or had a "hedgeapple" accident.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marty is right.
I am making a hospital car from a doodlebug and need a complete roof. I attempted to make a roof from styrene by heating over a mold, but was unsuccessful.

Jim Carter

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
I think I would have used a regular heavy weight car instead of a doolebug. Try AC maybe they have one. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RJ,

Been there, done that twice on this item.

Jerry,

The main problem I had heating the styrene, was uneven heat supplied by a heat gun. My oven isn't wide enough to place the plastic piece inside to uniformly heat.

JimC.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try your idea, Jerry. In the meantime, I still need a full length replacement for the Doodlebug roof on my Hospital car.

JimC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Might I suggest a slightly different approach:
First, cut out roof supports of the desired contour. (carlines)
Second, set up your clerestory windows above the carlines
Third, at connectors between the carlines.
fourth, glue either 0.010" styrene to the supports at the joint of the clerestory or one end of the clear story...if using thin brass, glue it instead.
fifth, after the glue has dried, wrap it over the carlines and glue.
sixth, overlay additional layers. 0.010" styrene is really nice for this as it bends easily...just be careful of adding too much solvent.
seventh, trim up the sides and apply your roofing surface.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DSP&P,
Do you have any pictures of this process you described? It would be very helpful.
JimC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jim, I'm sorry but I don't have many pictures of the process...but I'll share what I have...

This is a jig I used to scribing the carlines at the ends of the clerestory:
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/myork2005/?action=view&current=myjig.jpg

I don't have a picture of the carlines in the clerestory being formed. But, I'd draw one and then transfer it to styrene using the pin technique from the master classes. I used 0.020" and 0.040" styrene for the carlines. What I did was transfer the contour to a piece of styrene, rough cut it on a NWSL chopper, and then file it to match a template. I have some earlier techniques I used also in my photobucket album...the first roof had a couple deficiencies...just like my picture documentation.

For the clerestory sides, I made a point to use 8" scale wide styrene strips to form 8" tall clerestory windows...the window openings may not be quite perfect, but the height is constant...

Here is the assembled frame:
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/myork2005/?action=view&current=DSCF6928.jpg

You may notice that it is an On3 car, not large scale...but the techniques should be fine...just the dimensions would vary. I plan on doing this for some 1:20.3 cars in the future (I've begun building hardware for a Colorado Central way car...with plans for a short baggage car in a year or two).

In the process of being sheathed...
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/myork2005/?action=view&current=passengercarprog.jpg

The perk to this style of construction is being able to mount the lights in the clerestory (for anyone whom doesn't know...it is pronounced clear-story)
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/myork2005/?action=view&current=lights.jpg

Michael

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By pimanjc on 02/27/2009 9:48 PM
If any of you kitbasher have a spare Heavyweight roof, I need one for a hospital car I am building.
Thanks,
Jim Carter

Jim, Go to Shawmutt car shop web site he sells roofs for these custom made. i had one but Marty got it a couple of months ago..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts