G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread yesterday about automotive striping.
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/51487/Default.aspx#51643
That's a good source of info for future reference. Rather than post these pictures there, I started a new topic.

I've had a coach and observation that were painted in Southern Crescent. While I liked the two tone green scheme, I don't see myself adding more Southern coaches. I already have a specially decorated train (the wedding train) which has a nice black-yellow-silver scheme. However, I didn't like how that scheme would look on heavyweights (too streamliner-era) so in fishing for some ideas, someone suggested I incorporate the school colors of Villanova (Blue and White) with Millsersville U (Black and Yellow). I liked that idea, and created some paint schemes using those four colors. I showed MB the one I liked the best, and she liked it too, so I went ahead with the project and started to paint.

For the lettering, I used vinyl stick on letters. I'd paint the color I wanted the lettering to be, then put the stickers on using blue paint tape as my guide for 'straightness'. Then, I'd paint over with the body color. I worked from lightest color to darkest. Some of the lettering could probably use a little touch up, but overall, I am satisfied with the results.

OK, some pictures. Note, that the stripes are actually silver, but they reflect the table cloth (red) in some of the pictures.

Prepping the silver lettering (this was before I decided to use silver and yellow letters)

Same angle, with flash

Coach 1026 before adding stripes and decals.

I felt the coach was too dark, so I added some stripes, and small Millersvillanova decals:

Close up of the car name:

The ugly. I need to hand paint the doors, as in my haste, I didn't stop to cut out the windows. Here you can see the original Southern Crescent paint. Also of note in this photo is the ultra flat black paint I used on the roof. To me, it looks a lot like real roofing material:

Well, that's that. Once I finish the doors, I might work on scraping the windows a little bit, but I'm not too worried about that at the moment. I'd like to get the observation car completed in this motif as well. Alas, the weather forecast is rain, which won't be good for painting projects!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Mark,

In looking at you photos, the overall job is a good one. But. I have a problem with your silver striping. It looks like you used automotive pin striping for this and as a result, it is not snugging down around the rivets. This is going to be a problem if it is in fact what you used. The tape will eventually peel up and you won't be a happy Superintendent. Why not take the time to put on decal stripes, available from Microscale. They make the stripes in several sizes and already in silver. Not a big job to apply with a little care and a good bottle of Solvaset. The decals will snug right down around the rivets and look like they are painted on. Just an observation for an otherwise very nice paint job. (BTW, I have no stock in nor am I a spokesman for Microscale, I just like their product.) If I am wrong about the striping, just ignore me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've done a lot of decal applications striping and decaling N-scale trains.
If you choose to use decals for your striping be sure that the surface is a gloss finish. If it isn't you will need to spray gloss clear over your paint finish in order for the decal film to eventually fade into the car body. As Greg has said, the Microscale products are great products for perfect decal applications. What will happen will be to take your decal striping and position it where you want it. You then squeegy the excess water from underneath the decal. Once you are completely satisfied with the decal location, you take Microscale MicroSol and a soft brush used for watercolors and gently apply the solution over the decal. Don't panic as you will see the decal pucker and wrinkle. Do not touch or try to move the decal as the solution is softening the decal film. Walk away from the piece and in a few minutes it will miraculously draw flat and the decal will be pretty much inbedded into and over every bit of detail of the car body below. It's pretty good stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback on the stripes. Yes, that is automotive pin striping. I was thinking that I could use a hairdryer to heat them up, and that would get them to snuggle down, like the decals. However, I have also already had one come off. After the open house, I may have to revisit this and put on decal striping.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts