G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
875 Posts
I have never heard of such a wildly complex system!!! There are at least 3 layers of fault failure.... Here in the UK we have things called Thermostatic radiator valves. These are normally graded 1-5 and all they do is open/close when they reach the desired setting. The "combi" which produces hot water as well as heating, shuts down when the return to the combi is at preset temp. The house goes from cold to warm in under 10 minutes. The rating of the combi is 14Kw -a little on the large size -but my wife does like it warm!!!

regards

ralph

· Registered
875 Posts
Yes, I do mean a thermostatic valve per radiator -they cost around £10 each. The panel radiators are around £30 each -there are normally two to a room, (I have heat reflective film on the wall behind them). The "Combi" is short for "Combination Boiler and Water Heater". There is no hot water tank and the combi circulates a mixture of water and glycol through its pump to the radiators. The exhaust from the Combi vents straight into the old Chimney Stack. It is a gas one and and has an electric compressor fan to boost thermal output. Hot water come out at "mains pressure" as it is simply fed from the cold water riser to the combi and thence to the hot water pipes. The entire thing simply hangs on the wall in our kitchen, It looks like another of the kitchen cabinets and fits inside a std 50x30 placement. Oh my mistake -I miss keyed ours is 24Kw model not a 14!!!

This one is the one we use:

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/ultracom_cxi.asp

I do remember another thread in which someone was asking about replacing their "Furnace"... It was the first time I had ever seen anything like that!!!

regards

ralph

· Registered
875 Posts
Each radiator is fed by 10mm copper pipe from "The Manifold" which is in the ceiling above the "Combi". From what I remember this is simply a double spigot with dozens of 10mm pipe fittings on it. The whole lot has been buried in expanding foam for insulation purposes. We find it to be very economical to run -the "autumn quarter" gas bill was £90. The "winter quarter" one I am expecting to be around the £110 mark. We are very happy with it.

To each his own!!!

regards

ralph

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.