G Scale Model Train Forum banner

How healthy is our hobby? (check the stuff that's healthy)

• Locomotives

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Rolling stock

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Structures

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Track & Switches

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Electronics

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Manufacturing means

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Literature / info

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Community / communications

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Tools

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Materials

Votes: 14 40.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Cliff

I checked only one community. I don't see any new products coming down the line that interest me. I have enough so it would require something special, a late steam freight engine, like USAT'S Hudson could tempt me, but I think that the lack of new different models, engines, cars, structures is hurting the future.

Zubi was talking about live steam. Most of us use electrons and I don't see much there.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
BRO

The original croc is a great engine. I should run it more than I do.

LGB made some neat engines and the croc is one of them. I stopped buying threir engines when they started coming with the "new" control system.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
BRO

If you want trains at less than 20% of Internet store prices good luck. A few years ago a friend of mine who sold new equipment directly from a manufacturer, told my wife to order directly, for the item I wanted for Christmas. The difference between wholesale and retail was so small that it would have cost her more to get it from him.

I have occasionally gotten used equipment at swap meets and from friends at below retail, but they had been used and I know the individual or if it is a car I can inspect.

The other Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
BRO

The times I've had a problem with with a "new" product, from a web store, that came defective they said "don't bother us, send it to...". This happened at least twice. Service after the sale is not something I expect, unless it is a store I can walk into. They know me and I know them.

Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts