G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I finished (finally!) my stockyards yesterday. Here's Rhonda moving a steer down the alley:

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Excellent work, I'm hoping to work a stock yard into my plan because I LOVE those black Rio Grande stock cars!

So is the loading platform rebuilt? What did you use for wood to build it?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Korm. Having a real background helps a lot.

UP, the loading platform will get rebuilt today. I'm also planning a plywood box to keep it covered - just one hailstorm would be the end of that particular model.

The pens are built almost entirely of balsa except for the pine dowel fence posts. Everything was stained with a mix of alcohol and india ink, then basted with Thompson's Water Seal.

Here's a shot showing the loadout before its demise:

G

·
Matt, Great job! :) Looks like a place I go in the winter where the old Santa Fe stopped half way Fresno - Manvel Tx. area. Looks way to much like it.
Toad

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Matt, you did it again, the first photo fooled me, I thought it was real. You do a great job of not only modeling and photography but using forced perspective of the buildings in the background. Excellent!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Jim. It's always fun - I once had a museum director trying to figure out if her dad was in the cab in one of my model pics!
Here are a few more details. My son insisted that I had to have at least one pipe gate like those commonly seen in pastures in our world. I finally relented and soldered one up from brass tubing:

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By mhutson on 05/05/2008 11:49 AM
Thanks, Jim. It's always fun - I once had a museum director trying to figure out if her dad was in the cab in one of my model pics!
Here are a few more details. /div>

Why not? I'm in the cab of one of my model pics!

And that pipe gate is superb!

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Man! great job and what an excellent location for a layout. Those houses in the back looked like part of the layout,,, but then, the whole pen looked like part of the background. Very convincing :)

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Again great looking model, the plywood cover is a great idea and something i need to think of too, since it does HAIL in Kansas!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's beautiful! And perfect setting too.

Superb job

I like the D&RGW standard gauge stockcars. Not all that different from the little narrow gauge versions...except for all that metal ;)

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's one more feature I forgot to mention, probably because it's not visible. Beneath the roof of the scale there's a ScaleSound II module from Miller Models with a recording of real cows to add just the right atmosphere. Oh, and the roofing on the scale house is from Rainbow Ridge Kits. This is the stuff formerly produced by Big River Lines and is real corrugated galvanized steel. I washed it with muriatic acid to get it to look old.

Thank you all so much for your kind comments.

Sincerely,
Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
Matt-- Great job on the yard!!:) I'm in process of putting together a much smaller loading station for both sheep and cattle. These would have been found in more rural areas where livestock was purchased from large ranches like the '6666's, 'XIT', or a group of smaller ranches for shipment to the large regional Auctions or feed yards or other ranches. The primary differences would be no scale shed, an adjustable loading ramp to handle double decker (sheep) cars and naturally the total size. I hope you don't mind if I plagerize your model, since it has given me a couple (read several) ideas, for mine./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
A question I had is the on most prototypes I've seen, there is a slide out to close the short gap to the car, did you model that? And if not, what gap did you leave between car side and ramp?

Mark

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Mark,
Thanks to you and Alan for your comments. Actually the higher ramp on my model is for sheep or calves. There is a hinged platform which swivels down into position for loading the smaller animals into the upper levels of the stock cars Here's a shot of the ramp up in its normal position, ready to load larger animals:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Man, that is really nice work. It’s so detailed and realistic that I can almost smell the manure from here, and I’m in California!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif
Thank you very much for sharing those great photos.
Joel

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Matt,

That is just amazing!! I can smell the manure!:D (And I should know--spent quiet a lot of time with the cows while in veterinary school). I agree with everyone else--I almost have a hard time deciding if it is real or a model. One suggestion--manure on the ramps--if memory serves they were always full of c--p /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif. But then so is most of my advice.

G

·
looking at the last foto (from above), i think, something is missing.
the planks i had at the ramp of my corral (have been ranching for 15 years) looked allways somewhat greenish in the middle.
even when washed down with a hose, some (dried) cowshit allways stayed in the corners of the 1" by 2"s nailed on the ramp.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts