G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a few Revolution install for Rosenberg RR Museum and I got one that is really giving me a hard time. All my own locos are battery with Revolution and work great. The museum has a garden RR and want to change from DC to Revolution. I did about 6 so far and only small problems. I am now doing a Thomas tank engine and need your help. The test track I am using is nickel silver 250 code. The track at the museum is ss 250 code. Thomas ran fine on DC on the test track. I did the install, he will be running on track power and he was jerky and would lose link. I put him back to DC and cleaned the track with a drywall sander and wiped it down with a wet swiffer. He still ran jerky and lost link. I put him back to DC and he ran great. I tried a new receiver and still got the jerky moving and loss of link. I redid all the power pickup points and tested them and all is fine. I worked on this for a few hours and am lost. If anyone has an clue to what I am missing please let me know. It is now time to go the a garden party at the museum and enjoy some adult drinks. Thank you.
Jim Mitchell
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I removed the sound board and all the wiring. It had been over heated and were melted together. I tried both a blue tom board from RDL and the non plug-n-play that comes with the revo. After I did the rewire and things were not working like they should I did put it back to DC with no sound and it worked fine. I then went back with the revo and it is jerky.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link. No I did not remover the filters. I cut the wires on the motor and used the leads that were attached to the motor. I will read the link you gave me and try that tomorrow. Is this on your site? I thought that Thomas was going to be a cake walk. I thank you for your help and will let you know how it works out.
 

·
Super Modulator
Joined
·
21,049 Posts
Unfortunately, all modern locos have some form of noise supression, and Bachman's is famous for causing problems.

Now some more information, what DCC decoder are you using? Hopefully not the gawd-awful Soundtraxx OEM ones that Bachmann supplies/sells.

Greg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Greg. I have been installing Revolution Train Engineer into the museum's trains. The museum bought four transmitters and a dozen receivers. I now have seven trains finished. These trains were donated to the museum and really needed some TLC. I live about 3 hours away and stay with a friend, that is in the same G scale club I am in and also a member of the museum for a few days and work on trains. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I try. I was so happy to have you chimed in with help. Thomas will is now up and running at the museum. I am a member of HoustonArea G Gaugers, My Largescale and LCS. These are all my clubs that I go to for help and offer if some one is stuck like I get. I have your web site linked on our club site and go to it when I need to. Your link you gave me was just what the doctor ordered. Thanks to you and all on the sites that help each other.

Jim Mitchell
houstonagg.com
 

·
Super Modulator
Joined
·
21,049 Posts
Sorry, somehow I crossed up a couple of threads in my mind, the other thread is the Revolution DCC version, by reading again, this is not what you have, so ignore my dumb questions on the DCC decoders.

Let us know how you progress... I'll try to think of anything else that could cause an issue.

Greg
 

·
Super Modulator
Joined
·
21,049 Posts
That's good to know that it helped, those little buggers often cause problems. They are usually the first thing to be removed in any remote control situation.

Greg
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top