G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
They did away with my position as of end of Nov 08, and told me I could telemarket from my home for straight commission, now I'm considered under-employed by the heavenly fathers who are at the helm of the Govt. here in the corncob state!! l The Regal so now I play with trains more often than I used too. Hee Hee

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
In Australia it is starting to happen here.

Some people in the company I work for have been made redundant; money has been pulled out of projects, therefore reduced work for engineering companies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was a truck driver for a pile driveing company. Had a feeling my job would be 1 to get cut. Seeing as how my job didn't make them any money it saved them some though. Guess not enough.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
My son and 5 other of the highest-paid machinists were all 'fired' on the same day. The reason they did was so the company didn't have to pay unemployment benefits. This was in November. He'd worked there five years while the others had worked there much longer.

There was a recourse in contesting the 'firing', but since he's single he shrugged it off. He finally got hired a month ago in a foundry in the QA dept.

Me? I got my very first retirement check yesterday. I was sweating it because Boeing took over from Mac and took the 16 billion dollar trust fund Mr. Mac had set up for his employees. I don't know how they broke the trust fund, but I'm sure as I sit here typing it was illegal.

I feel this country is going to **** in a handbasket. There is no honesty anywhere.

Les

·
Registered
197 Posts
I deal with this daily. I don't see it ending anytime soon.

Statistically, when an employye is discharged, unemployment insurance benefits are awarded 85% of the time. It is the employer's burden to prove the employee's actions were a willful and wanton disregard of the employer's interests.

When someone quits their job, benefits are paid about 27% of the time. The burden of showing good cause falls on the shoulders of the employee who quit, unless they were going to be discharged had they not quit. Then the burden falls back on the shoulders of the employer.

When a separation occurs due to a lack of work, benefits are awarded. These exclude any extraneous issues which may disqualify benefit payment, like school attndance or self-employment. Eligibility varies from state to state. The employer pays 100% of the unemployment insurance.

Some employers fill the heads of their employees of all kinds stories about whether or not benefits will be paid if they are fired or quit. Telling people they will not get unemployment if they are fired is out of their hands and is just another mind game they play.

I shudder everyday when I hear about lay-offs and closings. My work load goes up with every lost job, but I have been on the receiving end of the pink slips many times before and it ain't fun. I do know that there are good jobs to be had out there, it is just finding them that is the challenge. Be patient and don't give up. Success will be your best revenge.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
No layoffs here but everybodys hours have been severly cut back. I was averaging about 38 hours a week. For the last three weeks I've been down to about 20..

Hopefully we'll see a rebound in hours as the winter season ends and we move into the spring floorset. We've pretty well sold through all the winter season goods and have begun to see the Spring/Summer goods assotrment beging to show up in the store.

We'll see....

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I'm glad I'm retired. I would hate to be going through the stress of wondering when the ax would fall. Before this mess I was wondering if my nest-egg would last. Now I'm really concerned.
My next-door neighbor was laid-off at 9 AM Christmas Eve. They just couldn't wait another day or two. Now there's a compassionate company for you...

·
Registered
934 Posts
I had to go back to delivering pizzas...which doesn't pay all that bad. However, between the recessesiion thingie and the dead slow time of years thingie greatly cutting back the number of deliveries (and that is where the money is at, not the straight pay)...I spend most of my shift washing dishes. Better than nothing at all, I suppose...

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
We just went through the closeing of two offices One in New York and mine in L A. The let three servicemen go west of the rockies. We sweat every pay day cause that is when they layoff.

I have been lucky so far. They shut down all five factories in Japan all the month of Jan. They have only started up two. I will be 64 in Nov. I hope I can go till 65.5 then I can more money from S S .
and medi care.

If I were laid off now I would apply for SS and suplement my income with part time work I think.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim, I just got done applying with the South Carolina Department of Corrections last night. Going today and apply with the Charleston Police Department and Charleston Fire Dept. Tommorow applying with Horry County Police in Myrtle Beach, SC. A old freind of mine is a Homicide Detective there so see how it goes. I hate going through application process going somewhere new sucks.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Yes I'm glade to be retired but then my job was never in jeopardy. US govt at least in most cases provides a very secure job. Any folks out there have a little RR back ground should apply to the FRA if you do not mind traveling. They will hire you as a trainee even. It's better than not having a job. At least it provides an income. The five categories for inspectors are Operating Practices, MP&E (motive power and equipment) Hazmat, Signal, and track. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Well, I'm retired and my military pension will pay the small mortgage and put food on the table so I'm one of the lucky ones. But I love working at something even if it's just to get out of the house and keep some spare cash around for my layout, Bev's doll houses and a good dinner and movie now and again. I was doing 32 hours a week and that's been cut back to 24 but I think that's less to do with an economic down turn (It's been quite stable in my area) and more attributed to Wal-Mart moving in with a giant super store about 10 km up the road.

These things tend to feed off each other though in a mindless sort of a way. The Chevy dealer sells one less car and so he sends a salesman home. The Honda guy sees this and although his numbers are up this year he still sends a guy home. Those guys buy less 'stuff' and 5 others wind up sitting on the front porch. Those 5 lead to 25 others.....
WWII pulled us out of their last financial screw up so I hope they don't resort to that again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got the pink slip last week along with 65 other folks. I've been in electronics manufacturing here in Massachusetts for 36 years. This is my third layoff and I fell thankful that I've only had three. Some folks I know have had 5 or 6 layoffs in their working life. Thank goodness the house is paid for, the cars are paid for, and no major bills outstanding. I'm 57 years old and thinking it's time to get out of this manufacturing game. Most everything is being assembled offshore today so the likelyhood of me finding another position is very slim. My wife works for Uncle Sam (39 years service) and has our health insurance so I'll survive. Glad I'm not fresh out of college with a manufacturing major, a wife and child to support, and a house payment every month, not to mention school loans to pay. Been there and done that!!

Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
I worked for a company that makes performance computer programming for cars and trucks. Some even got better fuel mileage. With the price of gas dropping, no one cared about getting better fuel mileage and the sales slowed. With the economy going south, spending money for more power also fell off.
They call it a RIF, reduction in work force. I was let go with 5 others on Nov 13. After numerous resumes and apps filled out, I can't even get a call for an interview. 8 years and the 6th oldest senority wise didn't matter.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I was laid off on Dec 15 during a 10% reduction in workforce due to the plummeting world demand for copper and metal. Luckily, I was given full health care coverage through the end of September. My wife upped her hours from 20 to 30 and is getting paid more per hour than before. I feel like my degree (mechanical engineering) and experience will help me get a new position at better pay very soon. Had an excellent interview last week with a local engineering company and there is a good chance that a Canadian company will be interviewing me to start a new office for them here in the Eastern US. I am finding a fair number of local engineering opportunities that fit my experience and background.

On the other hand, I have been really enjoying my time with my 15 month old son. I got a small severance from my old company, and that will keep us afloat for a while longer. While I liked the people I was working with at the end of my 5 year tenure, on the whole, I am looking at this as an opportunity to advance my career.

Trains wise, I am working on several train projects at once, like repainting and reinforcing a colorado models warehouse I built a few years ago. I am also doing some maintenance on other buildings, too. The live steam Libery Belle's running gear problem has been sorted out, and I now have the proper O rings (Thanks Roundhouse) for the cylinder inlet pipes, so I will be one step closer to setting valve timing when those are installed. The Mallet I purchased 2 weeks before I was laid off has been seeing lots of use with all the snow here lately. Shawn Fields was nice enough to make a number plate for her, 3177, which came last Friday. He did an excellent job, by the way. Its arrival inspired me to start prepping the loco for renumbering, and all traces of the former number have been sanded away. Oh, and I replaced the marker lenses with green ones, since I didn't care for the red ones. Interestingly, they look white when illuminated. Now I just need to get the right paint, and letter away. The tender also will get the Millersvillanova treatment, in due time.

In a stress reducing move for myself, I have found that I just don't care about the on going squabblings of some folks on here regarding this or that. Comments by some that would have gotten me fired up a few months ago now cause more of a "What an a-hole! Who cares?!"reaction with me. I spend less time on this board now because it is not that interesting to read about someone's hurt ego and generally avoid commenting on those threads.

For those recently let go, I have also found that joining networking websites, like facebook and linkedin have helped me to find old friends. Also, career builder has been a good resource for finding opportunities.

Hang in there guys, it will get better!

Mark

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Those of you that are retired I am envious of you. Mid 06' I saw all this happening, at least in my business, and nobody was paying attention. I started telling friends that I wish I was retired cause I did not want to have to deal with what I am dealing with now.
I am a manager of a building supply business. In 06' we started slowly downsizing to the point at which we are now. I am the one who gets to make the decision on who goes and who stays all for the benefit of prolonging the life of the business, not someones back pocket. Not at all a easy decision since most if not all of my layoffs are good hard working family men that I know will not find another job for some time. This economy sucks and no matter how much money gets thrown at by our government it aint going to fix it anytime soon.

WORLD WIDE ECONOMY = WORLD WIDE RECESSION = WORLD WIDE SOLUTIONS
Glen

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.