G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the looks of the Superior/Sunnyside 1937 Ford 1:24 pickup truck.

Here's a link to what it looks like in red:

Red 1937 Ford Pickup

However I'm a bit concerned about the scale. It's billed as being 1:24 scale. However this company (Superior/Sunnyside) has been a bit loose with their use of the 1:24 description in the past. Like these Crown Victorias that I remember seeing in person and they were way under sized compared to my other 1:24 vehicles and even many of my 1:25 trucks.

Crown Victorias

Does anyone have this pickup truck, and if so how does it match up with the rest of your vehicle fleet?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I have several, but they are by two different manufacturers. There are pretty much identical. On one the hood is removable and the other the tail gate drops. On both the doors open . Mine are dark green with black fenders. I am very happy with them and feel they are 1:24. Both are made in China. I don't think I spent more than $6 or $9 for them.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
7.5" long.
Frame on a 1/2 ton is 157.38"
Gotta figure bumpers and horns.
That's a frame length of 6.56"
Add 1/2" per bumper and horn, you've got the 7.5" length.

Bumper to bumper is 182" to 185".
7.58" to 7.71".
The only published dimension of the model I could find falls right in line with the prototype.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Here's the truck, weathered, on the track and in front of a 1:22 Bachmann boxcar for size comparison. Just eyeballing it it appears to be at or close to 1:24.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent. Yes the dimensions and that photo sure do say it's around 1:24 scale. Thanks for all the help. Now I just have to decide on a color

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
San Juan,

I have two of the pickups and one of the Crown Victorias. The trucks are significantly larger than the Crown. My pickups are green rather than red.

JimC.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that trucks of that era were smaller than today.

The platform of this freight shed is only 1 ½ inches thick, but comes up to the top of the tailgate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts