G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the election is over. Have any of you been out helping the canadates remove thier political signs.? You should.

I understand that some of them are printed on a corregated plastic material that is great for scratchbuilding buildings.

Plus you are cleaning up the envoirment.

Some people here in AZ were harvesting before the election was over.....No wait a minute that was the other party.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Down/over here in the Carolina Midlands most of the political roadside posters this year were made of a plasticized envelope-like, two sided sign that slips over a simple wire frame. Noticed that some of the local office seekers had signs made from that plastic corrugated board that JJ was discussing. But not that many, most used some heavy cardboard like signage with waxy like printed surfaces. Must be related to a cheaper printing process. I don't know. Did not notice any party preference, however, I did notice that Obama favored union printed signage. McCain's sign that I have seen did not display any printer logo.

Real estate signs are still using the plastic corrugated stuff.

The reason that I know all this is because I walk about a half mile along a major commuting route on my way to where I'm picked up for the long haul to work.

Joe in the suburban wastelands of the Carolina Midlands.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yep I have help remove as they do make for great scratch building Material. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Here in central NC, the local radio station ran a contest for who could bring in the most signs the morning after the election. Unfortunately, as many people considered this "stealing" or "vandalism" it made for some particularly heavy activity for local police departments.... who were, sadly, required to enforce the proceedings against sign "thieves."

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Matthew, I thought they were to be "removed within 8 days of the election" (per ch 14 news), after that they should be classified as litter and carry the same $300.00 + fine each

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
And don't forget to save the wire that supports those envelope type signs. It always comes in handy for something.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Locally most of the signs advertising that a store is "closing" are made ont eh corrugated plastic. They are usually printed that they will be removed by such a time and date and after that they are fair game. There are still political signs locally in Western NY but thankfully there were not near as many posted to begin with as in years past. Most are the plastic bag on a wire bail or hoop.

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Most all of the election signs posted here were the wire/envelope type Joe mentioned. I havent seen much of the corregated plastic signs during the elections, but movie companies use them all the time around here, and tend to leave them up after production has gone away. they are easy to spot, as they have one code word (usually a signle word from the working title) printed twice upsidedown to each other with a single arrow inbetween, that way one sign can be mounted to give directions to the shoot site regardless of direction, you just flip the sign one way for left, the other for right. these are almost always the corregated plastic type signs.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I work part time for a sign company and have stockpiles of the stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts