G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question. Is the Hartland Mack 4 wheel drive and is it a good puller?

My battery, I/O, audio car is too heavy for reliable traction from the Woody's 2 two wheel drive.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Built to last and nearly indestructable.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Craig,
Yes, 4 wheel drive and pulls well for its size. The Mack drive is a very solid unit. It's not as heavily built as the older 2 axle drive, but it is a very solid and dependable drive. It's also very easy to work on; simple and well laid out. I've built stuff with a fair amount of added weight , including just a bash of the Mack, and the drive handled it with no problem. The Hartland Mac is still, IMHO, the best buy in largescale.
Chris

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Torby - Chris. I thought it was but could not find any specs. I'm gonna have a Mack to hillbilly up next weekend.

And I will have to edit the audio for two engines..... I think it will be better.

Craig

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Agrees with Chris, and I have numerous bashes to back the opinion up with, go for it, best deal in town

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
YUP! 4 wheel drive!!
I rolled over my invisible Mack to see what gender it was and low and behold it is 4 wheel drive.
You can clearly see it is. I really don't think it needs windows.
If I add an engineer, I may not be able to post this loco any more.
On second thought I think this discussion has gone to the dog(s).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Richard!

Have you had any of the binding problems I read about in the forums?

Craig

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies!:)

One is on it's way from the Northwest hoosierland. Gotta modify my Woody audio for two engines. Should sound even better.

Just a heads up, Hartland has them on their specials page for $45. Free shipping. ;)

Craig

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
At the Botanic, we wore out both the LGB cog engines. Dave was sure he was going to have to rip out the cog railway. "Oh, that Heartland engine will do that fine." He was amazed when I set the Mac on the cog line and it ran fine.

Yesterday, there was a little LGB euro steam "injum" running there, but it gronked. Couldn't find the little mac engine. "Did we wear out that little gray engine?" We put another little engine on there and it gronked. "Well, shucks."

Finally found the mac hidden behind something else in the wrong shed, and it ran happily the rest of the day.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Bulletproof little buggers, and I like them a lot. I just received another Mack from Wholesale Trains a week or so ago, and it arrived with a broken coupler. I called the very nice folks at HLW today and the lady I spoke with there said she'll get a replacement coupler off in the mail to me ASAP. Can't ask for better service than that! I've been running a Mack on Aristo's new 20-inch diameter track and it performs just fine. Ditto for the Hartland 0-4-0, the Aristo Eggliner, and a few others. I was amazed that so many different small locomotives could handle that 20-inch diameter circle without any apparent wheel binding, etc.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Robbie,
Please keep us in formed on the power pickups. I've never heard of that being an issue in any of the Hartland axle pick-ups. Possibly it's that the plunger style pick-ups have gotten gummed up and just need lubing or the wires to the pick-ups have loosened. I've never had this happen, but the wires are only press fit in place. I would be very interested in what you discover.
Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmmm...
It stutters while everything else I run does fine. It could be dirty track, since my track was outside a while back, but I doubt it...maybe wheels, now that I think of it--I'll have to check those too.

The blasted thing DOES run extremely fast....100 scale mph perhaps?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Allan,

Where in the Aristo site is there mention of 20" diameter track? I run trolleys, and this would be very interesting.

Ted.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Ted this is what I have ran on the 20" and 31" curves here :)

Well I am surprized , the HLW Interurban car like the 09232 goes around the ART 11140 20" circle like a breeze , as well as the 4 wheel LGB locos , and the Bachmann trolley .

And the LGB New Orleans streetcar 20380 , goes around the ART 11145 31" circle just fine and quiet like . :)

Is there overhang , oh yes , but so did the real ones .

So the one car train , a streetcar or interurbans car , going around small curves , makes a small layout possible , and beliveable :)

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Not sure I've ever seen it listed on the Aristo site, Ted. I bought my track from Wholesale Trains after seeing it mentioned on this forum.

I see Aristo also has a "bee" Eggliner displayed on their home page. They call it a "Honey Bee" but it should be a "Bumble Bee" because honey bees--which, sadly, are quickly disappearing--don't have yellow and black stripes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts