G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Spule,

Had I known as much about HLW when I first started collecting 'stuff' for my RR, the money I spent elsewhere would've gone to them.

I made a minor miscue--not my fault, because of extaneous, boring difficulties--in not getting an HLW 'runner set'.

My difficulties were only minor: wife's washed out business, no room, storm damage to home--hey, not worth mentioning.

Were some newbie to wander across my path, I'd say, "Go for HLW to get started. Wish I had!"

Suppose I'd done that. Being old and rather easily contented, I'd probably have stayed with it, ignoring the darts and arrows of 'nonprotypical' and whatnot aimed at them. Then, 'bashing up to F scale would've been a lot more straightforward.

So soon old. So late, smart.

Les

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I fear that LGB's prices, if and when they return to the USA market will rise above what most average modelers are willing or able to afford. This is espicaly true if they go solely thru Walthers for distribution. Thats about like shooting thy self in the foot. Prices will be in the range that only those with above average disposable income will be able to afford the better locos and cars. Even with the economy in a rut, prices for LGB have remained strong on ebay and at shops that still have stock remaining. If LGB doesnt ever do any more USA prototype stuff, it will be up to Hartland, Bachmann and the others to fill the void. Lately, Bachman has really forgotten what customer serivce is, as well as quality issues rushing product to market. HLW gets kudos for being USA made, very robust construction both in body work and drives. This makes them excellent for bashing into other prototypes. They also fill a void of smaller is better trains that work on small garden railways. With track prices thru the roof, and most other companys making huge locomotives ect. They fill a need with affordable trains that run on tight curves. When I picked up my used DRGW Vonita Jean tonight, the build quality feels like LGB, which up till now is what I mainly owned. My rolling stock is all Bachmann for the moment, but I have a couple of old Delton cars in layaway at the local hobby shop. He also has several boxed Kalamazoo freight cars and some LGB. HLW does well by doing more with less capital investment in new tooling, I bet they are sitting pretty secure right now, sales are down I am sure, But they will continue to bring interesting new items to market in the future. Cheers Mike

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well, the local resturant has totaly worn out thier LGB Spreewald locomotive, wheels are concave on the tread from wear, gears are shot, motor is drawing intermitten high amps. A cleaning and lube didnt help much. I have him talked into getting a new locomotive, but not LGB this time, with parts and support still an unknown and obviously at much higher prices for certian. He is planning to get a Hartland 4-4-0 to run on his overhead loop, and probably a couple of thier passenger cars. So we will see just how durable thier drive system is. I ran my 4-4-0 today and it performed like a champ. Atleast parts are avaible on their models. I am very impressed with thier product in the day or so I have owned one. Thier build quality feels like LGB to me. Other than no track skates, which I wont miss the sound of them sliding on the rails. The 4-4-0 also picks up on all 4 wheels on the front tender truck. I cant wait to get our garden line rebuilt and raised up 3 feet above ground in a huge planter box, getting to old to squat down and make a nice garden anymore. Cheers Mike

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Les, your post was interesting, but one point is important. The Hartland stuff is Made here. Bachmann stuff is made ELSEWHERE. Completely different philosophy, and the Bachmann boys in Philly do not drive the boat..er...train. Hartland has an easy time to get parts, walk over to the bin and pick it up. Completely different from the Philly situation where in the only source is broken stuff.
jonathan

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
K27--

Your observation is well taken. However, I wasn't thinking of B'mann at all. What I was thinking of is the small starter set LGB puts out. Or did. It may have sold out by now.

Besides the things I mentioned about HLW, I forgot to include that kits for their cars are available. I have three. I am under the impression motor blocks, complete, can also be bought from HLW in a very straightforward way: send money, receive item. I'm given to understand that there are 5 versions of B'mann Annies/bug maulers/what-have-you, and if the howls of indignation and confusion around here are any indication, getting parts for at least the early ones is very difficult. Getting any kind of service is apparently not easy. I have no direct knowledge of that.

The production philosphies you contrasted are interesting. It appears HLW is beginning to be noticed seriously, judging from posts on this board. I don't know why they're not red-hot sellers, unless it's their smaller scale (1:32??) and plain-jane detailing. I buy entirely from the used market, so I'm certainly no authority. But HLW's strengths appear to be underappreciated. If they can hold the line on prices while B'mann lets theirs float, they may become more oft-seen on layouts.

Les

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Mike, bits for LGB are making a return Stateside as we speak. Contact Silvergate with the needs.

The other interesting bit is HLW is a small part of a larger plastics company. So hopefully, they are weathering the current economic situation, many in that business are not right now, especially if they are doing automtotive work.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I know of the parts for LGB slowly trickling back into the States, I get all my parts for the LGB repair work I do from Dave Watts or Train Li. He Spreewald needs all new drivers, new gears, new motor and maybe more. He would rather get a USA prototype locomotive with much easier parts avaiblity at this time. The future for Marklin/LGB has yet to be writen, they can just as easily go belly up or survive and prosper. I hope its the latter one, as its a shame to see what once was such a powerfull force in G scale do down this way. He is keeping the Spreewald and waiting for parts show up and see what it will cost to rebuild the locomotive.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Good Morning, I'm new to this forum, but I do own a HLW Jupiter, the 4-4-0. I have run the tires off mine...lilterally!

Took me a while to figure out why it would pick odd places to run off the track. I'd put it back on and she would run ok, then I got on the other side of the loco and noticed wheel wobble.

Could be the hot Az climate and a slight grade and Aristo's Sierra Passenger cars, all combined to cause enough drag that the powerful engine block broke the glue bond.

That is my one complaint, the plastic driver wheels. After reading this thread tho' it come as no suprise that they are. It's too bad there's no mechanical key to lock them in position. Glue in triple digit heat is the weak link.

I had to renew the super glue cure this year.

John

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
John, I would just ring up Hartland and order a new set of drivers for it. Once they start coming loose, its time to replace them. Looks like a fairly straightforward job to replace them. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Totaled,

Hey, Dude, WELCOME!!!

You'll find this a very friendly place, which dumb questions (my specialty) are nicely answered.

Les

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Posted By Totalwrecker on 02/26/2009 9:47 AM
Good Morning, I'm new to this forum, but I do own a HLW Jupiter, the 4-4-0. I have run the tires off mine...lilterally!

Took me a while to figure out why it would pick odd places to run off the track. I'd put it back on and she would run ok, then I got on the other side of the loco and noticed wheel wobble.

Could be the hot Az climate and a slight grade and Aristo's Sierra Passenger cars, all combined to cause enough drag that the powerful engine block broke the glue bond.

That is my one complaint, the plastic driver wheels. After reading this thread tho' it come as no suprise that they are. It's too bad there's no mechanical key to lock them in position. Glue in triple digit heat is the weak link.

I had to renew the super glue cure this year.

John

Welcome to MLS, John!

I agree with Mike. I would call Phil on Tuesday or Thursday and explain the situation. I think he will help you any way he can.

Take care,

Matt

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
Just a note about the plastic inserts on the Hartland wheels... I've been using 8-10 Hartland power trucks most every day on the PCSRR. Some of the run 12 or more hours a day and yes, I've had to do some fixing on them. I've found that Loctite Super Gel fixes them real good. The last fix was over 6 months ago and the wheels I've fixed with the Loctite have held that long.

One of the long running sets run on 4 foot diameter curves which is very hard on them. The others run on a 22% incline RR up and down with those stresses. The others run on 8-12 foot diameter.

Our temperatures have ranged from 10 to 100 degrees over those 6 months. The trucks just keep on working.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thats great info Stan, thanks for sharing! I am hoping to pick up either a second Hartland or a Kalamazoo 4-4-0 as thats what my wife and I both want for our two locomotives. For now they willl get run indoors. I pulled up the whole garden line to use the track indoors. A new garden line will be reborn, hopefully this summer depending on if I get a decent job. Mike

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I think I'll wait before I replace the drivers, did notice the wear from running on Stainless track. A couple of operating seasons and they'll be concave. I wonder what metal HLW uses for the tires? Might be time to get a metal lathe and turn my own... Steel on steel would wear a lot better... or perhaps I'll use a machine shop to make 'em.

I'll know more after the batteries go in... that's this spring's project and I'll be opening it up.

I used super glue because I was lazy and didn't take the side rods off. I relied on capillary action to get the glue inside. This year I used an accelerator for a better glue cure. We'll see how long it lasts. The first cure lasted a year and was the only operating loco on the pike, now she has a sister and should last longer...

John

21 - 34 of 34 Posts