G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,guys. I have 2 Hartland Locomotive Works 4-4-0's.
Neither one has sound.
One of them is a replica of the Virginia & Truckees' #22 "Inyo".
While not perfect, it sure is nice and pretty!
I know that Phoenix has a sound file for the Inyo.
So, which Phoenix card would I need to buy to add sound to this locomotive?
Thanks!
Andrew

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,Dan. How hard would it be to install it in the tender of this train? Is it a straight forward 2 wire set up for track power ,and then wiring in ,and mounting, a decent speaker in the tender, or is there more?
Thanks again!
Andrew

·
Registered
60 Posts
You will need the PC programming cable the unit comes set for getting chuff signals from a chuff sensor or axle magnets. With the programming cable you can set the cuff rate based on the track voltage.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
My first phoenix install many years ago was a LGB Forney. Speaker and sound unit in the fuel bunker, reeds for bell and whistle, plus switch for volume and socket for programming. The programming socket is needed as I have 'lost' the sound in the Phoenix and had to reload it. This can occur in any phoenix sound unit and I also had to reload some for friends. Good part is I downloaded the latest file for the sound, and then turned off MTS for those not using MTS. Then I stored the settings on my computer.

·
Super Modulator
20,733 Posts
Also, many people who run DC only turn "off" all the DCC functions, a long time installer says he has had weird issues on analog some times.

Personally, if I get a decoder (sound or motor or both) I always buy the programmer.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts