G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stopped modeling trains 8 or so years ago there wasn't to much to choose from in 1:20.3 rolling stock so I bought 4 Hartford box car kits to start off with.
Yesterday I rediscovered them and took them to the work shop to start building.I decided it would be a good idea to build 1 first to get back in the saddle and to get all the problems out of the way on the first one. Glad I did, when I got the side glued, CA glue, I found the holes for the ladders were on the wrong spot on on pair of sided or the other.fortunately I hadn't worked in my usual fashion because I would have had 4 cars to re drill. This way I will just take a panel gauge and scribe the lined on the other side of the end walls.

It will be a great car when it's finished. Lots of detail and incredibly accurate to the original cars.  Just for grins I compared to an AMS car and the matched right on. Plus with these new cars  I can add the remainder of detail to all the AMS cars. I'll post pictures when it is done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Doug,

they should be spot on as they were used to develop the ams cars- so rumored. when attaching the plastic roof i would recomend epoxy as the spray contact adhesive gives mixed results. i also pin the roof down with small nails below the battens as another method of securing the roof. the reason for this is that humidity will swell /shrink the car somewhat, and being dissimular materials the joint tends to break. the nails help to keep it all in place.

Al P.

·
Registered
61 Posts
doug,

i have two to build. my experience is from a used car that had roof problems. was loose when i got it, removed and tried the spray adhesive without good results. the original owner had used epoxy, so i tried it again but with the nails. as it was built i could not remove the battens , so i drilled and c'sunk them for nails back filled with squadron green putty. them let it go thru a years worth of temp & humidity. was still tight so i have recently finished and decaled.

Al P.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
"they should be spot on as they were used to develop the ams cars"

To say nothing about cabooses, log cars, passenger cars, etc. Odd how often other companies suddenly discovered the desirability of a car after Bob Hartford had done all the hard work. I thought Bob should have charged them royalties, but he seemed to think there was room for everybody.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posted By astrayelmgod on 01/18/2009 10:24 AM
"they should be spot on as they were used to develop the ams cars"

To say nothing about cabooses, log cars, passenger cars, etc. Odd how often other companies suddenly discovered the desirability of a car after Bob Hartford had done all the hard work. I thought Bob should have charged them royalties, but he seemed to think there was room for everybody.

Even though the AMS cars ar right there the Hartford kits are still a step beyond. Now that I have the holes re drilled and the car painted I will assembly and then take the 20 AMS cars and add what ever detail they need to come up to the Hartford car. And that is no slam on Ams they are great cars and a good value. I don't have time to build every car but if 25% of the fleet is hand made I'm ok with that. Next Hartford a Barnhart loader. Can't wait.

Wile I was waiting for the paint to dry on the firat one I made the 3 other frames for the other kits. May as well have 4 new box cars for this sping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts