G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Hartford archbar trucks that I've never assembled. The truck bolster is wood. Is this prototypical?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I have seen archbar trucks in a museum that had wood bolster beams. I would assume that the pivot parts are metal.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I have seen a lot of pixes showing wood beams on archbar trucks, generally logging cars--but others, too. If you Google 'archbar truck' I think you'll find several, some have steel, others wood bolsters.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
And it should be noted that Hartford is an incredibly meticulous modeler. If there is a wood part in the kit, then the prototype had wood there.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Dwight,

What's the difference between a 'swing motion' and an archbar truck, visually and operationally? A link will do nicely. Thanks

·
Administrator
5,715 Posts
Les - In addition to sprung vertical travel, swing motion trucks had a degree of lateral travel as well. The SPCRR organization is rebuilding some Carter Bros. swing motion trucks, and is also building two new ones as part of a boxcar restoration. Click here[/b][/b] to see photos of the bolster assembly, and how it's hung on pivoting hangers. :)

·
Been around awhile
131 Posts
I built these from a Hartford kit. I believe they are true arch bar. Here is the original thread link

Dave

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay thanks for the info. I also have an unassembled pair of arch bar type trucks made by North East Narrow Guage, Wiscasset Maine.
The springs are part of the casting. Do these have much value? My plan is to cut out the fake springs and fashion something better.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Dwight & Cephius

Thanks for taking time to post. C., that builder's log you linked is very welcome. I tried to post some of my own pixes and blew something out of the water, I'll try again. On some pixes of archbars, there is a pronounced 'arch' in the top horizontal sideframe bar, like this:

While on others, there's this look:

Got that second pic in. (Not real good at this).

A mug shot of me, happy:

Thanks to both of you.

Les

Added after posting: Dwight, that link on the lateral play couplers showed me something I'd never even thought of, the lateral play. Thanks. Posting these pixes makes me a tad shaky.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 04/03/2009 3:12 PM
You're welcome Les. :)" src="http://www.mylargescale.com/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/smile.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0" /> As a dweeb machinist myself, I in turn appreciate your contributions to the machining topics.

Just making payments on all the patient, kind help I've gotten. I wonder if folks recognize how unusually friendly this board is?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts