G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Hubbly 1:20 Chevy whose tires are going to be used for another project. Problem is, although stll somewhat plyable, they are obviously getting hard. Any ideas for softening them or are they destined for the trash bin?

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Jeff
If you can't find a way to soften them you could always make a mold cast some new ones. Alumilite and Vagabond sell rtv polyurethane rubber thats black and perfect for tires.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Jeff:
Don't know if this will work or not but try soaking them in some Glyercine for a week or so. I think you can get it at your local Longs Drug over there.
Noel

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Noel,
Just curious,,, why would glyecerine help? I've used it to restore wood veneers but never heard of it working on rubber. Have you tried this before? Hope I don't sound critical, I'm just curious is all.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Hey Big Kahuna:
Long time no talk eh?
I cannot remember my chemistry (too many semester hours) or physics but glycerin is hydroscopic (likes water) if I remember right. That means is sucks up water. (Like a Pearl Beer) On dry materials it draws out the water and replaces it with water or draws water into the material. That is why you find it in skin lotions. (Glycerin and Rose Water the formula of which is many hundreds of years old. Egyptians used it) It may take a while, but soaking the dried out tires in it may soften them up. Just don't over do it.
Noel

·
Junior Senior Member
602 Posts
How about sillicone spray. I use it every year for the rubber gaskets on my 1:1 vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Noel. We always used it on veneers, but I had thought the use was limited to wood products. What you say makes sense. I'm going to have to try it ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.