G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys and Gals, looks like Hanjin, a shipping company is in real trouble, they're ships are being seized by creditors, railroads and other movers of what comes in on these ships are NOT being moved.

Read the full story at this link:

Hanjin Shipping bankruptcy causes turmoil in global sea freight
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/02/hanjin-shipping-bankruptcy-causes-turmoil-in-global-sea-freight

This may just be the death of not only G scale, but possibly a lot of other things, especially those in the US that have orders, pre-orders, etc. coming from across the seas. This looks to be really bad and may put the US into an economic disaster, as well as the world since Hanjin is or was the worlds largest shipper.

So don't expect any new items anytime soon, because the story in the link supplied earlier, just doesn't sound too good for any of us!

·
Junior Senior Member
564 Posts
The analysts are saying there is so much capacity out there that Hanjin closing will have little effect on overall trade. They have been facing trouble because there is too much capacity in the shipping business and not enough cargo to justify it. Therefore shipping rates have been cut past the point of making a profit.

Will have to wait and see. Most of the cargo being seized off of Hanjin ships was destined for filling the shelves for Christmas. Yeah, the Christmas sales are right around the corner.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The analysts are saying there is so much capacity out there that Hanjin closing will have little effect on overall trade. They have been facing trouble because there is too much capacity in the shipping business and not enough cargo to justify it. Therefore shipping rates have been cut past the point of making a profit.

Will have to wait and see. Most of the cargo being seized off of Hanjin ships was destined for filling the shelves for Christmas. Yeah, the Christmas sales are right around the corner.
I never trust analysts that much anymore, they've been wrong too many times for me to trust what they say.

All we can do is wait and see, but when I've seen CSX cargo freight trains roll through my area 98% of the containers names on them were "Hanjin", so I do believe this is going to be one of the worst financial disasters in history. Worse than that very first depression that hit the world back in the 30's{memory not what it used to be on dates...LOL}.

But only time will tell that tale.

But from what and how that article reads, sure does not sound very promising to me.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I don't expect to see anything New until their pricing structure invites new production. Now our trains have to compete with toys to get made and we don't have the bucks to get in line.
They have to be made before shipping is a concern.
Dos centavos
John

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2 cents:

Bridgewerks products are assembled in the US, from mostly american made parts. We do source some of our components from overseas, but I do not expect that an increased transportation cost will have much of an impact on our costs or business. The Hanjin bankruptcy is an indication to me that shipping costs have dropped to an sustainable low level, and will have to rise, which will increase the costs of all foreign products.

A much bigger influence is the drop in popularity of model railroading - I am much more concerned that the hobby cannot support the local retail hobby shops any more, than I am that we can't support Hanjin Shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
This will only effect product already on the water. If it's sitting on land it will eventually get shipped, via another shipping company if in China or just put on a train or truck if here.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
From my unique vantage point living near a southern main line, there are many suppliers containers..from a long list of companies..
More like a couple drops in bucket..than all the water in it..
I see few H. containers.. many..many others..

More than one way to skin a cat in life..
Our own global economy will have greater impact in the future on our desires for G toys in the back yard of our homes..

Ran at Alans yesterday afternoon..btw.. fun time!
Run a train..relax in life!

SD

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
They are the 7th largest shipper in the world. So there are 6 other LARGER shippers still in business.

I'm not losing any sleep.

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I happen to have been making a list of names I see on the side of "Intermodal Shipping Containers" (not semi trailers on flat-cars) I see on trains while watching the Roanoke, VA and Rochelle, IL webcams as well as when I am out railfanning... Hanjin is just one of the 54 different names I have listed in the last 3 weeks. Seems there are plenty of companies to fill the void.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Unless hanjin has their fingers into multiples of those previously mentioned 54 container supply companies it will sting for awhile, especially for the frontline workers and the peoples effected by any seized in the system cargo.

Analysts and subsequently media tend to make big on negative, but small (if at all) on the positives !!!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I was just watching the Virginia Museum of Transportation railcam and added 6 more names to my list. And there are still lots of containers that I have not been able to read the name on the side (some companies do not seem to be as proud of their name as others and it is not printed big enough to read on the webcam video feed).

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Sorry I came in Late... THE SKY IS FALLING !!! THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!
This will turn out to be a tempest in a teapot with short term implications while they figure out who is going to assume responsibility for all of Hanjin's containers full of stuff.

In addition, prices will not skyrocket , they will stabilize at a reasonable rate.
Apparently almost no one thinks any company is entitled to a profit, especially if it directly impacts their purchase of toys.
And unfortunately, many companies created this problem by setting their original prices too low, creating unrealistic future expectations. Add to that the fact that senior executives will do anything to acquire more "market share" [in this case a shipping company], even if they are losing millions of dollars in the process. I remember when I was in Engineering Math at the U of A [Tucson], in a business class a "bright boy" actually suggested that if you only lost $0.10 on the production of an item, it was "so little money" that you could make it up on volume.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Ah.. The amazing virtues of modern math... Profit n loss vs. Taxes...add endum..

Not late Rivet..ribbit on in..lol

SD

·
Registered
760 Posts
I remember when I was in Engineering Math at the U of A [Tucson], in a business class a "bright boy" actually suggested that if you only lost $0.10 on the production of an item, it was "so little money" that you could make it up on volume.
That's the whole late 90's dotcom era explained in one sentence. When I started working in the software industry, VC's were throwing money at anything internet related. Pets.com, webvan, geocities. I worked at three places that went under--and I always had to shake my head. Here's a web service company that sent a limo to pick me up for an interview (I kid you not, and I'm not a CEO) had catered lunch three days a week, video games and pinball in the conference rooms, and about one paying customer a month. What could possibly go wrong?

Anyway, I'm in the group that think this will have minimal direct impact. There's a lot of excess seagoing cargo capacity at the moment, and it was almost inevitable that a couple of these carriers would go under. The biggest problem at the moment is the surge in drayage and warehousing as everyone rushes to get their stuff unloaded before the bankruptcy becomes official and Hanjin grinds to a halt. But there are plenty of other shippers to pick up the difference, and I don't even think prices will go up significantly. Even with Hanjin out, there's still probably significant slack capacity in the system.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Dan

The BAD NEWS is this happened NOT in the 1990s, but in 1968. What's 20 years more or less. Reality is irrelevant if your mind is made up. Reality is RELEVANT if you try to think "outside the box" because without it you cannot tell if you are inside or outside.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Dan

The BAD NEWS is this happened NOT in the 1990s, but in 1968. What's 20 years more or less. Reality is irrelevant if your mind is made up. Reality is RELEVANT if you try to think "outside the box" because without it you cannot tell if you are inside or outside.
So what you're saying is that there's nothing new under the sun? :)

I think it's funny (but not funny "ha ha") that we keep repeating history. What was a revelation to me in 1998 was apparently well known (to you at least) in 1968. I suspect that when the next bubble comes around, some guy younger than me will think it's the first time this has ever happened. Was it Marx who said "History repeats itself, first as tragedy then as farce"?

It's a shame that we don't do a better job of learning from past mistakes. At least I'd like to do better myself. And it would be even better if we could learn from the mistakes of others. Sad that we often don't.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Could a moderator please change the subject line of this thread from:

Hanjin Shipping BANKRUPT! NO NEW RETAIL ITEMS MAY B COMING~Shipping costs skyrocket

To:

Hanjin Shipping bankrupt.

since that is the only part that is accurate. ;)
thanks,
Scot

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I can only assume that parents and schools no longer teach the fable featuring Chicken Little!

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Was it Marx who said "History repeats itself, first as tragedy then as farce"?
Karl or Groucho? Harpo? Chicho? Zeppo? Gummo?

JackM

1 - 20 of 24 Posts