G Scale Model Train Forum banner

HAM RADIO + GARDEN RAILROADING

10K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  DoctorZ 
#1 ·
I'm wondering how many Ham Radio operators are also into G-scale? There might be enough of us to warrant having a G-Scale Net on one of the bands if there are enough of us out there?

Mark

#8 ·
KB0UII a technician class since 1996. My dad was WA0KHN , General ( deceased ) and my mother KB0ABC ,Technician ( also deceased ) . One very serious ham in the family was enough . Ha Ha. I was chief radio repair tech in addition to running trains.

Charles M SA #74

#9 ·
I'm AA2CE, but haven't had any HF equipment in years. I think my son (AA2CD) used our old Kenwood 440 for a down payment on his first car. The car has long since gone to the crusher, the 440 is probably a doorstop somewhere and I'm getting a bit rusty myself.

jack

#10 ·
Well I'm pretty new to Garden Railroading, but I've been a Ham since 2000. And yes I do have HF capabilities here, but the wife and kids take up too much of my free time to get on and make contacts much. However, if you get a Net going for G-scale, I'll check in.

73's,
KC0IVL.

#13 ·
High Frequency, Very High Frequency, Ultra High Frequency

Translation: Skipmesick has equipment that can operate - transmit and receive - on the various licensed bands from 160 meters (Low Frequency) to 70 centimeters (Ultra High Frequency), at a power output of 100 watts.

Just like "G scale", there's a whole different language in amateur radio.

JackM

I miss the days my son and I were active hams. It's an excellent hobby.

AA2CE clear

#15 ·
I've been licensed as WA1LBK since 1969 - had my Technician-class ham license before my driver's license. Like Greg, wasn't great at Morse code, so spent the 1st 22 years as a Tech; also had a 2nd-Class Commercial Radiotelephone license, worked on-&-off in the commercial 2-way radio field for @ 15 years. Did ham gear repair professionally for a few years & decided I needed to be able to test HF gear on the air, so got the code speed up to 13 WPM & got the General, a year later upgraded to Advanced. Got my Extra when they dropped the CW requiement to 5 WPM for all classes. Due to the years I spent Tech-only, was heavy into VHF / UHF weak-signal operation and contesting, Although not currently active hamming, still have a lot of gear, capabilities for HF up through 1296 MHz. (except 220 MHz., sold my 220 radio about a year ago after the antenna became damaged). Got to hire someone to take down at least part of my antenna array as some of them have become damaged; I put up the system when I was 35. Now I'm 60 & not as agile as I was back then. ;). Tom

#17 ·
I'm not a "Ham", but HF does not mean anything more than High Frequency. LF (Low Frequency), VHF ( Very High Frequency ), and UHF (Ultra High Frequency) are all different operating bands in the radio frequency spectrum. ( Maybe that is what you were trying to say) I forget all of the different break points (Google it).

I used to work at NRST Lualualei Oahu, Hawaii while in the Navy (Tough duty, but somebody had to protect the sand on the beach). We transmitted on all of those bands. I also worked at WWV, WWVB, Fort Collins, CO where I on one occasion I was personally responsible for adding a leap second to the year. I know many Hams were tuned in to hear that!

#22 ·
KK4LJL here - I use to fly through to the clouds and back with my FPV goggles (Video transmitter is running on 1.280ghz at 400mw and control is spectrum hopping 433mhz at 200mw).
We fly with the real time video downlink into a set of video goggles, its the closest thing to real flying as I can get before doing the real thing.

This was a recent outing in georgia (some of the shots you can see all the radio equipment, CPL antennas etc etc) :p (this is also the best video I have ever made so far)

#26 ·
High Frequency, Very High Frequency, Ultra High Frequency

Yuh, I figured folks would transpose the meaning of "HF" into the more common terms "VHF" & "UHF". A High frequency is a frequency that is high, whether it is Very high, or Ultra high, or just regular high.

JackM

(I got my Extra the hard way: five written exams and all three codes. Is there any other hobby that has such stringent requirements for entrance?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.