G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
KK4LJL here - I use to fly through to the clouds and back with my FPV goggles (Video transmitter is running on 1.280ghz at 400mw and control is spectrum hopping 433mhz at 200mw).
We fly with the real time video downlink into a set of video goggles, its the closest thing to real flying as I can get before doing the real thing.

This was a recent outing in georgia (some of the shots you can see all the radio equipment, CPL antennas etc etc) :p (this is also the best video I have ever made so far)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
DocZ, I was a member but am no longer... I'm in Rochester... The Railroad name is misleading I know but that is the area that I model in the early years of Minnesota logging. We've talked already... :)

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
High Frequency, Very High Frequency, Ultra High Frequency

Yuh, I figured folks would transpose the meaning of "HF" into the more common terms "VHF" & "UHF". A High frequency is a frequency that is high, whether it is Very high, or Ultra high, or just regular high.

JackM

(I got my Extra the hard way: five written exams and all three codes. Is there any other hobby that has such stringent requirements for entrance?)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Mark,

N0FTC here, a General since 1985 or so. I live (retired) in Albuquerque but G scale the Pennsy from Massillon where I grew up. Not set up at the moment but still have the equipment. I live an a neighborhood that doesn't allow things sticking up in the air.
'73
Jim

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 30 Jan 2010 07:34 PM
N6RGZ here... Only Technician class, code is not my forte...

Regards, Greg
.........................................................................................................................................
Greg. Back in the 50 and 60ths I was Gen. K6WGZ and I see you have the two last call letters I had.. Wonder how your called out yours? Our sounded out call letters was, "K, Kilowatt 6, W, (Whisky) G, (Gin), Z," Zombie). Like you on Cigars, We liked Four Roses for our fix. lol.

We started out with a home made CW/Voice 12 watt trans with a BC348 rec. and later on got a Military BC-610 with all of the goodie at our local AFB as a MARS member. After installing a Pi-network, it work fine for 1,000 watt rig. I think that Transmitter took more juice that our house did.. lol.
In tho days living in a housing projects we had a lot of problems with TVI and just being a Ham was a bad name in the old days. We have a power outage we be accused of taking all of the power to the homes in our area when we still had lights with our small Gen. and talking to other Hams and wife had light and TV till on.

We tried to start up a Ho Model R.R. club with some member of The Ram Radio club here in Sacramento, Ca. Guess it just never really got a good start due to most of the Ho train guys were in the Air force and moved a lot.
We gave up the Lic. after going thu a divorce in the late 6oth's.

Now with computers for Videos and links like this, all of the new phones and tech stuff kind of getting a way from the Ham Hobby.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
November 6 Romeo Golf Zulu .. have had the call on my plate for years... ... I did have someone pull beside me and have their own interpretation of N6RGZ

When I was younger, driving a Corvette, a minivan pulled alongside, and the sliding door rolled open revealing a bunch of girls my age... they asked me what my liscense plate meant, and I told them to guess...

"Need 6 Orgies".... needless to say a most entertaining interpretation... I'll keep the rest of the story under wraps...

Greg

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
That's funny, Greg.. I hear of one gal at a drive in ask me when seeing my plates and ask if it mint " Who's Growing Zits." and ask what the K6 stand for..I told her, "Kiss me 6 times and you may get love Zits." lol

I was a teen ager then.. Ok we bad.. enough for now. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
K1HKI since 1958 when I was KN1HKI. I'm an Old Timer with 20 wpm Extra Class...got it the hard way! YL Beth is N1DUX (Advanced Class).

I enjoy running trains and Garden Railroading more than Ham Radio...less QRM!

73 Bob

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Back when I was working in Detroit, I originally had my Tech call on my license plate. Since Mich. is a one-plate state, when I got my Advanced call on my new plate, I simply put the Tech plate on the front of the car. N2IYA on the front of the car, KF8CY on the rear.

Naturally, no one noticed, except the Customs guy as I was coming back into the States from Canada (TV cameras front and back).

"Why do you have two different plates on your car?"
"Because Michigan lets me."

I knew it wouldn't be a problem. I have a relative in Detroit who had a Hawaii plate on the fromt of his car.

JackM

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
ok train/ham guys how many use thier radios to train spot? if so where can a fella get a listing of local frequencies that the railroads use? I can find some listings but they typically are California or New York....

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hi Scott:
For the most part (OK, maybe 100%), the frequencies used by the railroads are on in a different frequency range than that covered by HAM radio operators, regardless of which level of license carried...so having a HAM license will be of no advantage.

To listen in on the railroad frequencies you'll want to obtain a scanner for listening only...that way you'll be able to hear them all within range. As these are all outside the range of HAM radios operators, you will not have two way communication capability (in fact you would not want or need to communicate with the train operators, nor could you legally do it).

You will want a scanner because many railroads use multiple frequencies in the same area...for different lines, direction of travel, yard vs road use, etc....in some areas with multiple railroads, division yards and several routes all close enough to be picked up with a decent antenna, it is not uncommon to have 8 or more frequencies to listen in on.

Scanners are pretty cheap these days...go check out the upper end ones at Radio Shack or online sources, even an eBay search will get you there. You can get one that is programmable via you computer, and I imagine a google search for "railroad frequencies" will get you plenty of hits to get you started.

Good Luck and have fun listening in!

Best Regards,
Cliff Ward, W2TL

21 - 38 of 38 Posts