G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my all time favorite posts on MLS is Chris Walas' Halloween train, the Ophidian. I haven't seen Chris on here much, so for those of you who are unaware that scary things take to the rails tonight, please to enjoy this old thread:

Abandon all hope, ye who click 'ere.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Chris was able to dig the Orphidian and several cars out of its crypt, and bring it to our last club meet. It was a big hit, as you can probably imagine. He added a passenger car, and a baggage car, which John Corradini and I were privileged to be able to help on. Due to lack of time, these weren't nearly as inspired as the previous ones, but they fit right in. There will be pictures posted on our web site, www.gcgrs.com, as soon as this months' bulletin is posted (probably this weekend).

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish I had been more involved when I lived in Goleta in 1999!! Oh well...

Glad to hear that train is still in existence. Looking forward to pictures of the new additions!

Mark

·
Registered
514 Posts
Halloween/Trick&Treat has only become an popular event over here in the last twenty years or so: maybe because it is close to the 5th. November, our 'Bonfire Night', which commemorates the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 AD/CE which was a failed attempt to blow up the then Parliament.

As my grandson is here on holiday from a Far Eastern country he was curious about it all (and a Harry Potter fan) so we decided we would join in the events this year ( our first time).

Neighbors and friends children arrived to warm themselves by the large fire we had lit. I did not anticipate this and there were no trains running, but with a small back yard maybe it was for the best: especially as it was quite dark.

The great thing is that one of the dads saw my loco boxes and we had a very full conversation about garden railroading. I showed him the track, by torchlight and then introduced him to my locos and Aristo-Craft stock. He seemed very interested, so I gave him some railroad magazines and invited him to come again in daylight.

Hopefully the town might have gained another railroader.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Got an interesting older guy in my neighborhood who celbrates Nov 5th...
Guy Faulk's Day... isn't that right?

He puts literature out at his house and everything...

so its here in the USA also...

Philip

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Thanks for digging up that oldy but goody Mark. I wish Chris still had time for the figure classes and chat. I really enjoyed them. Happy Souwin all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts