G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions for grinding away at metal?

I have a dremel grinding bit im trying, and its working..but slowly.

The frame in question is an On30 forney..I need to remove about 2mm on each side to convert it to On2..
which doesnt sound like much, but its actually a lot of metal to slowly wear away! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif
I dont recall exactly which dremel bit I have..I bought it ages ago and didnt keep the package.
I think I need a larger bit, or a "coarser" one..
perhaps a coarse file..I wouldnt mind doing it by hand, if I had a file capable of actually removing some serious metal.

any suggestions?

thanks,
Scot

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
A coarse file should work fine for what you want to do.  Clearly mark with scribed lines where to stop removing material.  Mount the frame securely in a vise.  If you are careful you could file down to the vise jaw at the scribed line.  Make sure that the file has a secure comfortable handle.  Rub a little chaulk on the file might help keep it from loading up.   Clean it often with a file card and scribe.  Lift the file clear on the return stroke to keep from dulling the teeth.  Inspect your work often to see how close you are getting to the line.  

Remember,  all of the fine technology and machines around us can be traced back about 300 years to some guys with hammers and chisels, some files, good eyes, patience and skill.

Terl

1 - 2 of 2 Posts