G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie, I am doing my fair share of homework:

Greg, your site is a godsend. thank you for sharing your knowledge. What manufacturer of track is now my biggest question... need to do homework.

Now, I hear comments on "bashing" or kit-bashing" and have a vague understand of the concept. From a layperson perspective I visualize taking a $600 "Mallet" and bashing up a $30 "car".

Are all these parts interchangeable once the "crushed" parts are glued back togther?

What fun... strange trains? Frankenstein?

gg

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts
RE: Gregs website and questions on "Bashing"

Hmm....

Track power or battery power is first question.

Will there be people or animals walking on the track on occasion, or very rare?

Those 2 questions will help narrow the choice down.

Regards, Greg

p.s. Did you read my track page and the beginners faq on this?

FAQ:http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/beginners-faqs-mainmenu-49/track-choice-mainmenu-50

More detailed: [url]http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/track-mainmenu-93/track-aamp-rail-material-mainmenu-94[/url]
http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/track-mainmenu-93/track-aamp-rail-material-mainmenu-94
comments/corrections/criticism appreciated....

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

Yes, kitbashing is much fun though I have hear it used for everything from a simple repaint to full blown Frankencritters.

Some of my bashed stuff - a Dunkirk geared steamer from Bachmann gondola, Big Hauler cab and shay trucks with a bashed bobber caboose, a boxcab diesel from an Aristo track cleaning car and some 7/8's scale critters from a Bachmann 45 tonner diesel with scratch parts and a diecast construction tractor-

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I'm a a total newb at this stuff but I've managed a couple kitbashes--this is the most elaborate

http://www.mylargescale.com/1stclass/lownote/b-06.jpg
picture exceeds 640 pixels wide - changed to a link - Jim Francis, Moderator

Here's the prototype

it started as bachmann "Annie" and ended up as a PRR B6 switcher. I bought a barely used annie on Ebay--like this

and then used parts from whatever I had. It's pretty crude but it was a lot of fun

It started as a chassis and a PVC pipe

I've done lots of less elabrate things, just blundering my way along. I don't think there's a loco on our railroad that hasn't been repainted or sawed up or had varous parts added to it.

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts

GG said:

" What manufacturer of track is now my biggest question... need to do homework. "

anyone have opinions?

Greg

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian, "Bloody" good. Lots to look forward to I say.. Here we can let the mind work to the fullest... Understand the basics first. After all this is indeed a hobby where fun is very personal and per your layouts Gents can beautify a garden.

Greg, I will study your site further and thanks for the links.

Short term:

Do a basic design layout. Min 8' diameters with a #6 simple switch (Vs the original double) between the inner and outer track given my space.

Figure out the ERA and style if not a mix as I use existing assets. Migration to ERA 2 type equipment.

Focus on RELIABLE track suppliers as I want "plug'n play" from a track supplier. Aristo is iffy at this time. I have an array of Code 332 LGB brass track (EU)on hand however suspect that I will need to go SS outside flex Code 250 (US). I have no room for poor quality here. ( I will go DCC direct power )

When it comes to track and installation, cost is not an issue. Do it once... simple as that.

Figure out how to lay this track in a region or zone 3 (North Alberta "oilsands country") where the frost line can go to 7 feet. (tempted to just "free-float" with basic 2" PVC pipe "pegging" into the ground with a foam fill . This, in turn allows for annual y-axis adustment as required. The prime mission for the pegs is to preserve x / z axis movement within reason and allows for secure ballasting. 50/50 mortar and stone dust with annual repairs based on the amount of heave.

Based on above predrill peg holes (12") with 6 " of gravel then the prefilled foam peg that is driven in by 6" then back filled with stone dust. (stone dust repels water and is very dense when you work with it. I have a driveway in E Canada filled with it.. Works beautiful )

Regards,

gg

PS: can I meld the code 250 and 332 together on the sidings and switching yards or in areas of low speed...? (trying to save a few bucks)

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lownote... now I understand..

No need to destroy a $600 "mallet"

thanks

gg

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts

GG, I would definitely stay with stainless. The Aristo used to be the standout value, half the price of the competition. If I was to start over, with the erratic quality control on the plastic ties, UV protection missing, and some parts of the turnouts also missing UV and the poor frog geometry and all the tweaks needed on the WR, I would go code 250 stainless from the other guys.

Stay with split jaw stainless clamps.

Yes, there are transition clamps for 250 to 332... you could use 332 in a switchyard, and just ballast it more to hide the height of the rails...

I don't have any problem with people or animals stepping on the 250, the only caution is if you have lots of wild animals, deer will dent code 250 faster than 332, but in stainless it's nothing like brass.

If you are going reliable, take a look at my air motors to move switches, no electrical out in the elements, and easy way to run from DCC.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent and thanks

Being based out of California I note that you stayed away from "frost issues" !!!

gg

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts

Very nice climate to do trains in, winter is just 30 degrees cooler than summer and there is less daylight... no frost heave, and not enough rain to try to fix the ballast with anything more than gravity. Pretty ideal place. The desert has too much expansion.

Of course it costs about twice as much to live here, a good month is when the gas and electric is under $600 and I don't have air conditioning...

such is life...

Greg

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Gee Greg,

A bad month for me is about $150, and I have AC - though only need to run it about 2 weeks out of the year.
Of course, I don't have a nice multi storey manor house!

-Ted

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

Gee Greg,

A bad month for me is about $150, and I have AC - though only need to run it about 2 weeks out of the year.
Of course, I don't have a nice multi storey manor house!

-Ted

Greg must be running those trains 24/7!

-Brian

G

·
0 Posts

What manufacturer of track is now my biggest question... anyone have opinions?

my personal experience is, that the railjoiners of LGB-track are good enough, not to need to be replaced with railclamps.
that might save some money.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
What manufacturer of track?

I've got Aristo brass and stainless, LGB brass, AML and USA Trains brass on my layout. To be honest, I have mixed Euro and American ties too. I'm not a stickler.

LGB is the most "robust." The ties are very durable but they look the least American. The joiners are surprisingly good as Kormsen said. If you use anti-corrosion paste when you join them they last a long time

Aristo track has somewhat flimsier ties and it's a different color. The joiners have those little screws--I think they work pretty well, I have some in use with no clamps still after a year outside in heat and snow

Aml track is like LGB but the joiners are less reliable and require clamps from the start

I don't think there's a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I think I would still use the clamps as eventually you will start having electrical problems. Of course size of layout can be a determining factor also. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Yes, I think sooner or later you will probably want clamps everywhere. The bigger your track pieces, the less clamps you need and the better off you are--two 8 foot sections=two clamps. 16 1 foot sections =32 clamps. A railbender will pay for itself that way!

·
Super Modulator
20,517 Posts

I started with stock Aristo joiners, then replaced all the ones around switches, and then swapped them out. I was able to easily change out the stock slide on ones for Split Jaw without lifting any track. Besided electrical continuity, in the case of Aristo, the SJ clamps also aligned the rails better.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have to agree, Greg. Your website is incredibly helpful to beginners. It sure helped me with MANY questions that I had. I, for one, would like to say thank you for putting all the time into your site that you have. Between you and Ray, your two sites explained most of the questions I had starting out (which I still am) and gave me real good insight to make my choices on things. As to track suggestions, I personally went with code 332 Aristo Stainless Steel and Split Jaw railclamps. I honestly haven't heard any complaints from anyone about this setup, but have heard numerous complaints about brass track and slider joints. Mostly pertaining to having to clean it all of the time and sliders not being as conductive as rail clamps. The longer someone has been in the hobby and the more things they have tried makes them a perfect candidate for taking advice from. And thanks once again for all the help. ^^

-Will

·
Premium Member
168 Posts

I have got to put my 2 cents here about brass track. Now I run trains at least once a week,
but there have been times I went 3 weeks because of cold and wet weather. Even after this
amout of time all I had to do was run the track cleaner in front of the engines to clean the track.
I think that most G scalers have the trouble with their brass track by not running the trains
on them as much as I do for I donot have trouble with my brass track at all in engine stalling
or slowing down. Now a derailment is a different story.

Ken owner of K&K the road to nowhere

·
Registered
85 Posts

Does Aristo-craft still make Code 332 SS Flex track? I see some 8' SS flex track at St Aubin but it doesn't indicate whether it is 332 or 250. The new aristocraft catalog seems to indicate that all the flex track is now 250. Is this true?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts