G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!
I´m two days old at this forum, and its great! Feeling home even if I´m in the very start of a 1:50- On30 railroad. When I found the scrollerbutton, I found a On30 forum and this one!
Well , living at the Norwegian West coast not far from Stavanger and Bergen, we have plenty of rain and snow. The summer is short and thats why I ´ve chosen to build an indoor railway, making sections from Styrofoam.
The Topic is a WW2 buildt industrial 900 mm narrowgauge railway from the big Electric Furnace Products Company Ltd in Sauda, to the german Nordag plant at Saudasjoen. 2,4 km track, mostly at broken stones filled in the fjord beside tne old road. http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/efpco/Nordag-banen/no9981705-48.jpg
It´s a great challenge, But someone have to start, The history becomes interresting; talking to those few still living people who had their work arond the line.
Spend some times digging in archives and find treasures like the picture in the link above. Its great.

My experience in Modelrailroading comes from an old H0 modelrailway,quite small, but it gave a lot of fun! Now the children is out, and the H0 hung up.

OK: this could be enough I think, I´m spending more time at the PC than at the Workbench

have posted some pics from my first building, hope it looks not to far from the house at the first picture. http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/efpco/Nordag-banen/Mandius%20Aarebrots%20hus/P1290083.jpgOddvar

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Oddvar

Welcome to MLS I'm sure you'll find a lot to draw from, even though some of it may need to be scaled down some.

You work on modeling the house, which I believe is of the one about 3/4's of the way around the curve of the shoreline and just across the road from the tracks, is so far pretty much dead on. Please make sure to keep us updated on your progress.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Welcome.

I live in Vermont and have 1" plus of snow accumulating as I type.

I am beginning to think an indoor activity like yours might keep me off the computer, too

Don

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Oddvar, welcome to MLS!

Looks like you have a great plan for your railroad. Your first building is a winner! Very nice. Thanks for posting the picture of it and the old photo of your planned railroad. Keep up the good work and keep us posted with pictures :)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Pleased to meet you!

Take lots of pictures ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for Your answer Don!
Yes though there is an ocean between, the weather is almost the same, I just wish You less amount of Rain!
I really feel much closer to Your continent than the EU. The nature, the freedom and human respect.
The computer is a must, but I skip the TV for the MR! Nice to create something, and maybe show a bit of days gone?
I recommend building houses in corrugated plastic, but there is much to experiece yet!
Oddvar

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Steve!
Thank for Your welcome!
Yes You are right
Its the house3/4 way around the curve I trying to model.
I got drawings from the owner Morten, a young man ,always positive, he was interested in my plan. Some months ago he lost his life in a tragic accident at work. It hurts thinking of his family- still living in this house.
I also have got some pictures from the daughter after Mandius, who build the house in ca.1930.They have been to great insperience.
I like sharing, so you will get more about the progress, but where do I post it?? This forum is that BIG!

Oddvar

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You Torby!!
Thanks for spending Your time to welcome us beginners, shering from Your experience to a lot of us!
Thank forgiving wisdom from CS Lewis! It brightened my heart really!
Praying for USA, might God still show his blessing over this continent which has given freedom for a lot of belivers, also from my homeland.
Yes I thank Him for the news yesterday: Norway are going to buy their new Joint Strike Fighters from USA!

oddvar

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi Oddvar,

I use the stuff you are building with, to close off the open corrugations ar the joint on the corners etc, rebate in the ends to the sides. Let me explain - cut from the inside the outside sheet and the corrugations leaving just the other 'outer' piece to the depth of the thickness oh your sheet. Into that rebate the glue the end. The result is that the (open) corrugations are hidden: I add to the corners a piece of plastic right angled trim, as I buiild Western American (meant to be wooden) style buildings.

Wood would rot hence the use of plastic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Peter for your explanation of how to seal the corrugations, I think I got it.
I´ll serch up your website soon!
Oddvar

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for welcome, and Your e-mail Alan! Nice to meet "neighbours" !
Got some nice pics from the famous Fairey Spearfish from a boat enthusiast from Devon. I dig that boat

Oddvar

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Posted By SteveC on 11/22/2008 5:10 PM
Posted By EFP&CO on 11/22/2008 9:45 AM

I like sharing, so you will get more about the progress, but where do I post it?? This forum is that BIG!

Oddvar

In the case of your house, you could post it in the Buildings forum, or you could post it in the On30 Benchwork, Scenery, & Track, or maybe the European Models and Prototypes, which ever you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks Steve!
I´ll try to choose one, first I have to get the house together.

Oddvar

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Stan and John J for welcoming!

You´re right John MLS feels very right, the only problem is : So much to look at!!! Little or nothing is done at my poor scrape house.
Had a nice visit at Prescott Canyon Southern Garden Railroad right now.

Nice to "meet "You all!

Oddvar

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Velkommen, dette er et veldig hyggelig forum med veldig hjelpsomme deltakere.
Welcome, this is truly a very pleasant forum with very helpful participants :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Takker for velkomst fra deg og Hagen! Er du "over there", eller?
Thank s for welcoming from you too Hagen! Are you "over there" or?

Oddvar

1 - 19 of 19 Posts