G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
currently obtaining track, and rolling stock
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
since i live in the Pacific Northwest i want some Great Northern locomotives and a 4-6-0 would be simple and cheap but very few great northern prototypes survive and none is avalible in G scale (unless you count diesel electric locomotives)
so i plan to make a Great Northern 4-6-0
Train Vehicle Wheel Rolling stock Mode of transport

this is an HO scale Brass model for refrence not my model some people have been confused
mine will be a cheap bachmann 4-6-0 repainted into Green and black
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Sky

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
Looks like a good match - good luck!

My only comment would be that the Bachmann 4-6-0 is a 1:22.5 model of a 3' gauge prototype and your target GN loco is a standard gauge loco.
There are several threads around here about converting the B'mann 4-6-0 to a standard gauge prototype - although the issue of 1/29th or 1/32nd also comes in to the mix.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a good match - good luck!

My only comment would be that the Bachmann 4-6-0 is a 1:22.5 model of a 3' gauge prototype and your target GN loco is a standard gauge loco.
There are several threads around here about converting the B'mann 4-6-0 to a standard gauge prototype - although the issue of 1/29th or 1/32nd also comes in to the mix.
i don't plan to change it that much actully (some of my stock is 1:24th scale) mostly repainting and and some smokebox, cab, and tender adjustments also this will my first kitbash of a locomotive

·
Registered
4 Posts
I may get grief for posting this, but at least one of my GN-loving friends here in Ohio has gotten a lot of use out of a GN-painted Lionel 4-4-2 (made in the 1980s and long discontinued). Its main advantage for GN users is that it already has the Belpaire (square-shouldered) firebox, even though it's based very loosely on a PRR prototype. They don't pull very long trains, and the valve gear can be touchy, but you might keep your eye out. I also put Aristo long tenders behind my Lionel 4-4-2s which give them a much more substantial look, if that helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may get grief for posting this, but at least one of my GN-loving friends here in Ohio has gotten a lot of use out of a GN-painted Lionel 4-4-2 (made in the 1980s and long discontinued). Its main advantage for GN users is that it already has the Belpaire (square-shouldered) firebox, even though it's based very loosely on a PRR prototype. They don't pull very long trains, and the valve gear can be touchy, but you might keep your eye out. I also put Aristo long tenders behind my Lionel 4-4-2s which give them a much more substantial look, if that helps.
that is rather helpful but it is so hard to find any nice aristocragt stuff or pre-recession LGB i wanted to get an aristo mallet but i can't find any for under $1,000

1 - 11 of 11 Posts