G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a phone call from 5yo grandson about noon today. He asked if he could come over and run trains. Today was a balmy 52F [ 15degree above average] Kansas Winter day.
A request like that is NOT to be turned down. Besides, it gave Papa a chance to try out the Heavyweight 3-axle truck modifications that I had gotten from Marty Cozad and George Schreyer.

As a result of the mods, the only car that had a derailment on either loop or through any of the three double crossovers was the FB unit.

Luke and Papa set up the FA/FBs [He didn't notice that UPs were pulling RGs].

Next the four modified Heavyweights [out of seven] were placed on the rails.

Papa teaches Luke how to use the transmitter.

Surprisingly, the heavyweights made it through all turns and switches without a single derail.

Luke closely followed the train watching for derailments.

Luke gets a closer look at Vinita Station.

Papa talks to Luke about operations. Luke stopped the train at the station with the coach and observation at the loading ramp for passengers to get off/on. We added some passengers to the Observation platform.

This was a wonderful day spent with a train-crazy grandson. Hopefully, many of you also are having these great days.

JimC.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Oh man J C now you went and did it pulling rio grande's with u.p. must be a law against it! Call out the rivet counting police. Hee hee Looks like a good time was had by all, busy around here today doing other things but at one point this afternoon I like you would have liked to have been out in the back yard running something. LOL Your friend Jerry The Regal

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Jim,
Looks like more fun then anything else. Makes me remember the days when my son and I had good times like that. Miss them dearly.

Glen

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Jim we had no idea how much fun it is to be grandparents. We have two hannah 8 yrs and michael 5 yrs they both like to come over and run the trains.GRANDPARENTS RULE!!!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Awwww, great pics Jim. YOU HAVE 3 DOUBLE CROSSOVERS!? Wow! You are making me want to add more of them to my layout design lol. I've created a monster too Jim. My nephew Eli is obsessed with trains because of me. He's only 2 but wants Uncle Will to take him on his train at work lol. Great times!

-Will

·
Vendor
3,323 Posts
Looks like a great run time, Jim. Yup, that's what it's all about..

Can you point me to the link for Marty's fix on the 3 axle trucks. I'm using they on the rear of the coach for the Doodlebug consist. That truck has a bit of a problem with LGB 1600 switches.

I'll go to George's site and hunt for his remedy... :) :)

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stan,

I was ready to abandon the three-axle trucks and buy replacement two-axle trucks. Marty advised me to modify the 3s before spending the $$$. Marty sent me a picture of his mods.

George has a similiar picture of a two-axle truck on his site here: George's Heavyweight Truck Tips George suggested the mods to help the two-axle trucks to me on MLS Chat. Scroll down the page to the last picture before the "Interior" section begins. The grinding down of the ridge improves the tractability of both the three-axle and two-axle trucks.

In the near future, I will post an ongoing thread detailing many mods made on the set of six heavyweights and the doodlebug, to make a seven car consist. The mods include the trucks, conversion of lighting to all LEDs, conversion of lighting to battery [and/or track power], population of cars with little people, and conversion of the Doodlebug to an Army hospital car, and some possible major roof mods.

Stan, I'll probably be seeing you for some decals as the project progresses.

JimC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts