G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great day we had over at Thurnby today! I went over to collect my first-run Accucraft Garratt into which Rod had installed my faithful Futaba 2.4GHz digital r/c, as well as some work to change out the steam pipes and add silencing mesh to the burners [this last courtesy of Gordon Watson down in Oz - thanks guys].

The Garratt began to move at around 15psi and carried on for 48 minutes before running out of gas - the first time, that is. It was hauling Trevor's beautiful [and VERY heavy] Cowan & Sheldon Railway crane and twelve log cars as well...effortlessly.

We went on to run -

1. David's much re-worked Pearse 'Mallard' [the similarity lies in the colour-scheme, but little else].

2. Rob's beautifully-running Regner Gauge 1 'Kangarou' and Chiemsee tram locomotives.

3. Accucraft C-19

4. Accucraft Mogul

5. my Accucraft Garratt, a couple more times...

6. and Trevor's beautiful Accucraft GS-4 Daylight and a nice long consist.

This last loco, as with all the others, ran faultlessly and effortlessly as long as we kept it in water and gas, and was a real treat for the eye trumpets with its long steam plume lying down over the casing as it flew around the track in the 20C temps with its clear stack-talk as it negotiated the subtle grades of Trevor's sneaky trackwork. Watching it self-start with the merest hint of throttle and pull away with a distinct beat was a real joy.

Right now Trevor is doing his best to pursuade me that I can't live without the war-baby version...and reminding me I just happen to know where there is one for sale, too.

A great day for Accucraft locomotives, and a big thanks to the great bunch of guys who were there to share - David, Peter, Rob and Trevor, our host.

tac

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Tac
Glad the opportunity to run live steam with a great group, track and equipment. Certainly makes the difference when all the little bugs and gremlins are gone from the steam routine.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Another great tribute to Accucrafts wonderful products and craftmanship that we can all enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John - as you note, a good Accucraft steam-up that could easily have been a demonstration day for the marque. There will be around twenty or so there in friday...as well as some Aster models.

tac

'Beware the man with only one Aster...'

·
Registered
84 Posts
Terry

It was another excellent steamup thanks to Trevor's hospitality and the genial company. Your Garratt and Trevor's unmodified Accucraft Daylight were star performers. I managed to get a few film clips and they should now be viewable:

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yo David! Great movies and many thanks for posting them/it. It really did my heart good to see '49 steaming and charging just like the real thing. As I noted, seeing the actual loco pulling out of Portland's Union station for real is only a little bit better!

I know in my heart, as a fan of #700, that 'real' locomotives don't have skirts, but darn it, it looks sooooooooooooooooooooo good!

tac

·
Registered
84 Posts
Terry

Thanks for the comment. During one of our conversations on Monday you expressed an interest in a film I put together a while back where, for a bit of fun, I overlayed a photograph I took from the driver's seat on the real Mallard on to a film I took of a friend's garden railway to give a drivers view of a garden railway. It is not very realistic, but, as I say, a bit of fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts