G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know my son Grant who has been around live steam since he was born. He is now six and in kindergarden, and has access to my track in the back yard with his battery operated trains. Last fall I had Grant run my Ruby at Larry Hergets, and he did OK for his first run, using gloves to control the throttle. So last weekend, I went out and fixed up the track, since it was nice out. Today we took #346 out. Grant oiled all around the engine himself, then he put the water in the boiler and the steam oil in. I gassed it up and lit it. Other than that, Grant preformed the entire run, including use of the johnson bar to reverse the locomotive to pick up cars. He did it very slowly so as not to bump the cars. He can read the pressure guage and accuratly reported the pressure frequently, as well as keeping an eye on the sightglass. I worked on a couple trouble spots we found in the track, while Grant continued the run. So I guess I am the fireman now. LOL

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posted By Dwight Ennis
Bet that's the nicest darned DE-motion you've ever had! ;)" src="http://www.mylargescale.com/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wink.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0" />

Sure is!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hopefully Grant doesn't pay complete attention to his teacher (father).

I seem to recall the inaugrial running of the fire brick train, where due to engineer error or something like that, it stopped and nearly burned down Larry Herget's walk-over bridge! Where's the video of this spectacular event!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha Ha Bruce! I think Larrys walk over bridge has a tin plate under it now to deflect the heat and flames! Grant cant burn it down even if he tries to repeat the feat. I think the original video of the fire train is on you tube somewhere. I posted some of the following years, but havent seen the original in a while!

Tim

·
Registered
620 Posts
Here's the link so all you uninitiated can see what a real FIRE train looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF-Qdf8jJrs

There usually aren't many mosquitos left after it is run as Citronella makes real good fire.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Back in '04 it was looking kinda burnt. No tin plate yet! This may have been the run you were talking about Tim.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chooch, It must have been 03, because that ruby pulling the fire train in 04 (pictured) wasnt mine. Today Grant was the engineer for C-16 #42, again he preformed the steam up reitual minus the gas and fire, (I gotta have something to do), and he did two runs.

Bruce, thanks for finding the video!, I think that one was from 2006

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts