G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First timer here. I am trying to run a USA GP38-2 on an LGB starter set layout. The GP38 slows to a crawl with the lights shutting off in the curves. It doesn't pick up momentum again until completely out of the curved section. On the straights it does okay, but still not as well as I'd expect. St Aubin's thinks I have too small of curves but I see others here have run on the same size.
My layout:

Approx. 10 x 10
5' diameter curves
LGB 50171 transformer

Let me know if any other info will help in addressing my concern. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am positive about the curve size. It came with the Pennsy Forney set. All my LGBs run smooth and nice on it. I have just encountered this problem when I purchased my GP38-2. Any idea how many amps I would require? I only plan on running a single engine with maybe a lighted caboose. Any cars (moste likely 3 or less) would be unlighted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Randy,

That makes sense. Unfortunately I am too much of a novice to know much about electricity. All I know about the transformer is what is printed on it:

Input 120VAC 60HZ
Output 20VAC 28VA

Does that answer the transformer capabilities? After googling, people refer to it as a 1 amp transformer.

I do not know what the power draw of the locomotive is. I have googled that, and can't find documentation, nor did my loco ship with any paperwork.

Another concern I have, is the capacity of my wire to the track. It is LGB wire 51230 and it is listed as 2 x 1.5 mm squared. Should I be concerned about how many amps I run through that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Chuck,

Sorry if I am a little slow, but what is your advice? Should I upgrade my power supply to a bridgewerks or something similiar?

I am sure about the curves. I can't see the underside since they are nailed down, but I have 4' curves to compare with, and the ones on my layout are definately 5'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Philip,

It is good to get confirmation that the curves aren't the problem. Did you catch my wire question a couple of posts back? I am considering the Bridgewerks mini mag. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Randy,

That is good advice, but I have some constraints that limit my ambition. I am running indoors in a bedroom, so I only have about 40 ft of track. Plus, being indoors I am a little scared of having so much power. I currently have my LGB wire running through the wall. If I could manage to stay within the restraints of the wire, it would save me a good amount of time and money. I am well aware, this may not be possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hello All,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help on this thread. I finally had enough time this weekend to re-wire my layout and hook up the new MRC Power G. With that everything works swimmingly! Plenty of power for everything I own. Thanks again, you guys are an asset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts