G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Senior Dish Washer
3,413 Posts
Hi Steve

When a locomotive is sitting on a straight pc of track, basically the only thing the motor has to over come to start moving is the weight of the locomotive and what ever it is pulling or pushing.

The electric motor or motors in the locomotive draw current/amps dependant on the load present.

When the locomotive enters a curved pc of track, the locomotive wants to go straight. The flanges on the wheels rub the inside of the outer rail of the curve and this guides the wheels around the curve. The flange of the wheel pressing against the rail causes friction and thus extra load on the electric motor. This causes the electric motor to draw more current/amps from the transformer.

Now, the tighter the radius or diameter of the curve is, the higher the friction will be and the higher the current/amp draw will be.

So, while the LGB starter set transformer may provide enough power to provide the current/amps to run the locomotive on straight track, the transformer most likely doesn't have enough power to provide the current/amps to supply the locomotive while under additional loading caused by the flange pressing against the rail.

Check the Current/Amp capacity of the transformer and then find out what the current/amp draw for the GP38-2 is.

Good Luck

Randy

· Senior Dish Washer
3,413 Posts
Steve, I would upgrade the wire size also. I would use 12 gauge stranded wire. Bridge Works should be able to tell you what size wire to use also

Just to let you know, I use a MRC 6200 Transformer rated at 60 VA

Randy

· Senior Dish Washer
3,413 Posts
Steve

Also, before buying the MiniMag, consider what your long range plans are. If you plan to run more than one locomotive or have 200 feet of mainline track, the MiniMag might not be enough transformer. So, if you can afford a bigger transformer, it will be cheaper to buy it now than have to purchase another bigger one later.

Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.