G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
OK... I am the KING of small curves... I run indoor... and for a while all I had was 4' diam curves...

Only this past year did I upgrade my outer loop to 6.5' Diam, and my inner loop to 5' Diam...

Sounds like a power issue to me... as I had no problems with my GP38-2, GP7/9, RS3, U25B on 4' diam Curves...
There are some mods that need to be made to keep from pulling cars off the tracks, but I have not found a 4 axle loco that
won't go around 4' diam curves... I'm not saying it looks pretty, but they will make it...

I have a few of the LGB starter packs, and they are grossly underpowered for anything but the locos they come with...I use them under the christmas tree only...

The Bachmann Starter packs are just as bad, if not worse... I use them to power the lights in my buildings... so I can dim/brighten them as I want...
They also make good paper weights.... and good fodder for kids science projects...

The Aristo starter packs are pretty good... I still use one on my inner loop...
I was just running a NW-2 and a GP7 doubleheaded... won't go too fast but it works with lights (no smoke)
It will overload if you try to go too fast, but I run more prototypical speeds through my layout... with one loco they are fine...

I suggest getting a larger power supply... buy something big/nice, you'll need it later anyway...

Philip

· Registered
147 Posts
I scrimped for a while and ran with just the Aristo starter packs...

they are enough to run 2 locos with lights... or one with lights and smoke...

I finally got an Aristo Ultima... and WOW what a difference...

I should have done it years ago...

Philip

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.