G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Modulator
22,731 Posts
The LGB transformer indeed has an output of 1 amp, way too little period.

You don't need to worry about more amps, it takes higher voltage to kill you, due to the resistance of your body. You could hold the leads of a 12v 10,000 amp power supply in your hands and suffer no ill effects. This is because current flows based on resistance... your body resistance is much higher than the motor of a locomotive.

This is a common misconception. Now voltage is different, it is always there no matter what the resistance (unless you draw more current than the power supply can provide).. in that case voltage drops... and it's this case that is probably happening. The LGB unit is probably operating at max load, but not really sensing a short.

Get a better power supply first. I would recommend the MRC Power G, 10 amps, and inexpensive and works well.

I have had problems with the "lighter weight" MRC units, including the 6200 (Which could not supply enough current for my LGB track cleaning loco)..

Regards, Greg

· Super Modulator
22,731 Posts
You need to look at the average current.

I can get about 1.7 amps continuously working my USAT locos with 2 motors hard.

1 amp no way, 2 amps will be just enough, but you will be dead if you have lighted cars with bulbs (some of my USAT streamliners draw over an amp each!).

I would not scrimp.

Regards, Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.