G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little different battery installation in a GP-38. It has an AirWire receiver, Phoenix P5 for sound and 2 14.4 volt, 4.5  a,p/hour NiMH batteries. This will giive a continuous run time of just under 5 hours.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a thread a while ago about the "ultimate speaker". This is one of thos speakers. It is a 2" woofer and makes a  nice rumble. I have one in my SD-45 and also put one in a LGB Sandy River 2-6-6-2. They come from ALLELECTRONICS.COM

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Thanks Bill, will have to check it out. I bought an excellent 2" speaker from Jonathan, the sponsor of this forum. They sound very good also.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The speaker is part # SK-314. You have to cut the cases apart to get the speakers out.

What P5 controls? Are you talking about the volume switch? If so, I never install it. Since I use an AirWire radio system, I can control the volume fron the transmitter. The only other thing from the P5 is the programming jack. It is stuck on top of the rear battery with a piece of double sticky tape.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Bill,

That is one neat install. My GP-38 only has one 14.4 4500mah battery with the P5 and speaker in the fuel tank and I seem to have wires everywhere. How dose your speaker you use compare to the stock speaker that comes with the P5? Honestly, I was quite impressed with the P5 speaker. Guess I have nothing to compare to.

How heavy is your engine--mine with the one battery and the factory lead weights seems really heavy. But then I am comming from HO scale--everything in G is heavy to me.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Phoenix speaker is just fine. The one that I installed has a lot more bass. I installed both the 2" woofer and a tweeter in my SD-45. The sound is awesome. It is the first time that I have ever heard a model locomotive rumble. I didn't weigh the GP-38 but my GP-9 with the same batteries weighs 11.2 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts