G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I got the rolling stockn deal of a life-time. (At least it was so far in my life-time). I went to my local g-scale hobby store to buy myself a birthday present with the money/gift certificates I had been given by family. I expected to buy one car for my gift and one just because I thought I deserved two cars. I of course purchased the first car at full price (a bit more expensive than I would have paid online or from my friend Mike in Iowa), but while looking around through the stock, I found a used long caboose for $50 cheaper than the new one he had on the shelf. The caboose was mint except for a broken marker light (I have these in my parts stash in my work room). I of course grabbed it up immediately and put it in my "cart". Then on a whim, I asked the owner if he'd be willing to sell one of the hopper cars he had on his indoor layout? He paused a moment, and said, "sure" and quoted me a price that was $40 cheaper than the marked price on a new car (the one I paid full price for). This car was also mint! I couldn't believe the deal I got. What a great birthday present! Just wanted you to know that not all the great deals are on ebay or via online stores. Needless to say, I intend to give my local store more of my business because he treated me so well.

P.S. If anyone feels like raining on my parade, and telling me I didn't really get a deal because....blah, blah, blah,...DON'T!

As far as I'm concerned, I made out pretty well. Three cars for less thatn the price of two. I'll take that any day.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Ed,

Congrats on your great deal! AND just remember, we all need to keep buying from our local shops. Nothing beats walking in to a real brick and mortar establishment. I always go to my local dealers and shops and vendors even if I have to pay more.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By gary Armitstead on 03/28/2009 6:58 PM
Ed,

Congrats on your great deal! AND just remember, we all need to keep buying from our local shops. Nothing beats walking in to a real brick and mortar establishment. I always go to my local dealers and shops and vendors even if I have to pay more.

I would far rather do my LS shopping that way. My favorite store in the Portland area when I am visiting the folks is Tammy's Hobbies. Can't beat that experience as opposed to shopping on line!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ed,

i know that feeling. and i like it too.

and happy birthday!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Posted By NavyTech on 03/29/2009 5:13 AM
I wish I had a good Hobby store I could walk into and they would have G scale stuff. I have on store and they have to order everything in and then they charge me 30% more plus 14% sales tax. It is cheaper for me to buy online and wait a week or two for it to come in.

I wish there was a G hobby store I could DRIVE too! (with only one tank of gas for there and back...)

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I don't have a hobby shop near me that has any kind of selection of G scale. So I have to deal on line. You guys are lucky

·
Registered
322 Posts
Most large scale shops seem to be clustered in one area. I am in the southwest corner of Ontario and the closest shop is a 3 hour drive from here. It is surprising that there aren't more shops around. You would think that business would be strong enough to support one. Oh well. Regards, Dennis.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Ed got pictures? What Brand? A good deals good if you believe it's good. It's not anyone's buisness to tell you it's not!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ouch ! 14%

Posted By NavyTech on 03/29/2009 5:13 AM
I wish I had a good Hobby store I could walk into and they would have G scale stuff. I have on store and they have to order everything in and then they charge me 30% more plus 14% sales tax. It is cheaper for me to buy online and wait a week or two for it to come in.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The best deals are always from friends and acquaintances. I picked up a basically new USAT GP-7 and Aristo TE unit for $50 each from a down sizing club member.

-Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts